• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch questions

hippymill

NAXJA Forum User
do I need the nut plate for both sides to install a hitch? I searched and it seems that there should be one on the right side already for the exhaust hanger, but my hanger doesn't bolt through the holes that the hitch uses. it has 2 small bolts side by side. also, what is the bolt size and the thread pitch for these bolts if using the nut plate?

If it is a Mopar hitch then yes. I am not sure on other brands. You should have the nut strip on the right side. Depending on how old your XJ is will determine if it is still ok. From installing a mopar hitch on my 2000, the nut strip was so rusted and falling apart I just baught new ones. Here are the part numbers and bolt size.

REINFORCEMENT, Sill
# 52001174 Right
# 52001175 Left

BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M12x1. 75x40
# 34201964

Hope this helps,
Alex

97+ XJs already have the nut strip in the passenger side. If it's 96 or older and doesn't have a factory gastank skid, then you'll need to get two. You could make one by just tacking some bolts onto a piece of sheet metal, if you have a welder, although you have to make one little bend to avoid some nuts that stick up in the bottom of the frame rail. If you have a gas tank skid, you're all set.

are the nut plates the same 84-01? I looked up the part for my 95 using a 94 parts list. it has a different # than the one listed above.

I would assume so but that's about all I can say. If there were differences I would assume that they would be at the 96/97 year break. However, I've taken nut strips out of older model XJs and seen brand new ones for 97+ models and to me they look identical.

Nutstrips are for sissies! Just go fishing.

(Although it wasn't nearly as fun as the "normal" kinda fishing.)

I just put a new hitch on my 98 2 weeks ago. Factory nut strip was toast. Broke 2 hanger bolts trying to get them out. Had to open the end frame hole big enough to get the strip out. Get your dremel ready :)

The hitch I bought came with carriage bolts and individual steel plates with square holes instead of nut strips. The stell plates sit inside the frame and keep the carriage bots from spinning. Had to fish them in one at a time with each carriage bolt - used a bent clothes hanger and tape - but it was pretty easy once I opened up the end holes on the frame. To keep the carriage bolts in place while putting on the hangers, I fed a 3 foot strip of 1x2" in the frame ends over the carriage bolts. This kept them from getting pushed up when I was putting up the hangers and getting the nuts started.

Here is a link to Suspension Connection and the hitch I put on.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/233.html#ITEMIMG

Picture in the ad is not exact and the hitch came with the powder coating chipped up. Seems the factory does not ship with packing materials and all the big pieces bang around in the box. No worries tho. One call to the SC customer service hot line and they credited me back $15 to go get my own paint to touch it up. I sanded and deglossed the parts and painted them with black appliance epoxy. Hard as nails and looks great. Did this before I put it on. Did all the work in my drive way. God, my neighbors love me :)

Anyway - save yourself some major headaches - If you have a rear factory bumper, remove it before you start. It will give you full access to the frame ends and make it much easier to install the hitch. Easiest way to remove the bumper is to remove the bumper from the hangers BEFORE removing the hangers from the jeep. Pull the plastic bumper ends to get access to the top bumper to hanger bolts. One down side to the whole thing is that you have to share the frame holes and bolts with the gas tank heat shield and muffler hanger. Makes putting on the right hanger a real pain in the a$$ - what was DM thinking ??

Total install time - 5 hours and that includes soaking some bolts to free them up.

If I had to do it again, I would have had more beer on hand....

One last thing - this hitch comes in 3 pieces; 2 end hangers and 1 tow bar with the receiver in the middle. It will hang 1.5" higher if you install the tow bar upside down. The way it is constructed, you have the same amount of steel in each direction around the receiver so it should not cause a problem. It fits either way with the hangers in place and it sits nice and snug up against the bumper when you install it upside down. With only 3 inches of lift on 31's, I'll take every little bit of clearance I can get.

Good Luck.

Motroutmo
+++ It's a Cherokee thing.... Chrysler doesn't understand ! +++

Hey...what's with your username? I see trout. I see MO. I see a location of St. Louis. It's like deja vu. :)

I have a legacy Mopar hitch that goes on each Jeep I own. It came off a junkyard 93, went in to my 87, then into my 95. I just took it off the 95, salvaged the nut strips, and am slated to put it on the 99 soon.

I got all the bolts out but one, which spun the nut off the strip, so I had to torch it off. (gas tank? what gas tank?). The bolts were pretty tired, so I tapped out the holes in the strip to 1/2 inch - it's the same pitch thread, but just a tiny bit larger. It's so close that the old metric bolts still screw in pretty snugly, but it will get some nice new 1/2 inch bolts with 3/4 inch heads instead of those sissified 18 mm. heads! What bozo came up with 18 mm anyway?

MO = More
TROUT = fun fish to catch.
MO = Missouri

More Trout in MO. We need MORE TROUT IN MO !

Trout chuckle when they see me comin'....
I Fish because I Can - I Can because I Fish.
TFFF = Torture Fish for Fun = Catch and Release.

Will be on vacation with the family at Montauk first week of June. Will fish, swim, play, and take run over to Flat Nasty's to see some of the Big Dog Run fun on 6/3 ! Might even do some of the blue trails while we are there. (Spent a whole day over there a few weeks back pulling my buddy's Disco II up one of the Black Trails.....My XJ didn't even blink). He will Never live it down. Lost his rear bumper in the creek.... what a day !

I am so happy that I don't have to fish any of the 4 trout parks in MO anymore. I enjoyed Maramec but don't miss it now. :viking:

Back