• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-Lok questions on a Dana 35

PW1XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a Dana 35, with the Trac-lok. Is the Trac-lok suppose to feel like it's locked all the time? I pulled the carrier, put the pin back in the spiders, stuck an axle back in the carrier, and the the axle won't budge. I'm wondering if this is normal. I thought the LSD was suppose to slip. Maybe I'm not strong enough to make it slip by hand? :dunno: ..

Does anyone know of a write up on replacing the Trac-lok on a Dana 35? I want to make sure it's ok since I found shavings in the oil. Thanks..

I didn't think the D35 ever came with a factory Trac-Lok. You sure this isn't a Chryco 8.25 or D44?

Anyway, a clutch-type LSD will allow slip, but if it's working properly you won't be able to make the clutches slip by hand. They allow enough slip for taking turns without making noise, but it's supposed to act as a locker in a straight line more or less. If you can make them slip by hand, the clutches are shot...that's the easiest way short of doing a burnout to tell if a LSD is working or not.

anony91xj said:
I didn't think the D35 ever came with a factory Trac-Lok. You sure this isn't a Chryco 8.25 or D44?

I have a D35 with Trac-Lok in my 2000 Limited. Came that way from the factory; if I had the build sheet handy I'd post the code for it.

casm said:
I have a D35 with Trac-Lok in my 2000 Limited. Came that way from the factory; if I had the build sheet handy I'd post the code for it.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to look around junkyards for one...do you know what years they were offered in the D35?

anony91xj said:
do you know what years they were offered in the D35?

I've got the one out of a 98 sitting down stairs in my shop..

I just want to know if the shavings were coming from the Trac-Lok. :confused:
I'd like to take it appart and inspect it.. FSM shows all these specialty tools I don't have, and I've heard of people taking the clutches out themselves.. A write up would be cool.

anony91xj said:
Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to look around junkyards for one...do you know what years they were offered in the D35?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was available any year that the Trac-Lok was an option (which should be most, if not all, of them).

From my build sheet - DSAP Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
- DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle

This is in my 2000 D35. I too think LSD was an option most years and it was part of the UpCountry off-road package from 97 - 01.

Related thread - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72591

PW1XJ99 said:
I've got the one out of a 98 sitting down stairs in my shop..

I just want to know if the shavings were coming from the Trac-Lok. :confused:
I'd like to take it appart and inspect it.. FSM shows all these specialty tools I don't have, and I've heard of people taking the clutches out themselves.. A write up would be cool.
What specialty tools does the FSM show? I rebuilt my Mustang's Trac-Lok (Ford 8.8) with no special tools at all, it was very easy. I've never seen a trac-lok in a D35 before though so I can't be sure there.

anony91xj said:
All years. My '88 came from the factory with Trac-Lok.

anony91xj said:
What specialty tools does the FSM show? I rebuilt my Mustang's Trac-Lok (Ford 8.8) with no special tools at all, it was very easy. I've never seen a trac-lok in a D35 before though so I can't be sure there.

The clutches are behind the spider gears..

Tools:

Clamp gear holding tool #6965

Special tools #C-6960-3 (disc) #C-6960-1 (threaded adapter disc) #C-6960-4 (threaded rod?)

Sometimes it just says (tool) :confused1

Kinda hard to tell by the pics what they are using. It almost looks like you have to compress the gears to get them out.. :dunno:

Back