• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NOT your usual non c-clip dana 35 question

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
As some of you may know, im building a street jeep, some of you dont like it, thats too bad..... for eveyone else, i could use some advise

For starters, this jeep is going to be putting down a large amount of power, its a 4.5L thats getting turboed, pushing 6lbs of boost, estimated 325-350hp at the wheels, well over 400 lb-ft

Its got an aw4 that im building as well, and eventually setting up to have a clutch for 1st gear

Now, i have a non c-clip dana 35 in the rear, that im debating on upgrading. I have an 8.8, but its narrower and i dont want to run wheel spacers. I also have a 27 spline 8.25 available, but its c-clip. Im running 255/55-16's (27x10") which grab very hard. The jeep is all wheel drive, for right now I'm using a np242, but i think im going to swap it out for a np249 out of a v8 grand.

So, to sum it up, will the 35 handle 350 ponies, open, AWD?

If it spins and hooks up...it's gonna come apart like a cheap watch...swap in a 8.8 with a girdle cover and welded tubes. or a d-44 or a 31 spline 9" or a d-60, or rockwells or Blah-Blah...(just to keep everybody happy and not get flamed).

Seriously, the ole turdy-five won't handle heavy shock loads.

Get the rear from a 98-up Z-28/ T/A .. I ran years on mine all stock with 1.60 60ft times .. plus they have disc and 3:23 gears

Or if you have a big bank account call up Strange and order a 9"

tealcherokee said:
9's are expensive....and hard to find with 3.73's

i think ill do the 8.8 eventually
Junk yard 9" about $100 to $250. Regeard by a shop is about $150 since you can bring in the "chunk" and they can do it on a table.

Try and find an XJ Dana 44 or upgrade your 8.25 to 29 spline. The D35 wont handle that power for long. One good launch and its toasted. I know from experiance :)

AARON

the prob im having w/ tthe 8.8 and the 8.25 is the fact that it c-clip. id rather break the weaker axle than maybe break the stronger one and have my wheel fall off. Id love to find a d44, but theyre not worth what people want, neither are the 9's around here

The C clip itself is not weak. the reason people dont like it is because its a headache if you break an axle shaft out on the trail. Not really an issue on the street.

This is just for street racing, right? So you want lightweight. Stay with the D35.
You will probably keep the stock gears, or at most go no lower than 4.10s.
How about a traction device? You say its open but is it going to stay that way?
If you plan to eventually lock it, I would go with a Super 35 kit. That way you get the locker, you get 31 spline axle shafts in a very lightweight axle. If you dont go much lower than stock gearing, the R&P should be strong enough. Throw some disc brakes on it and the Super 35 kit and be done with it.

With disc brakes, the axle will not "fall" out of the housing if you break a shaft. That is the problem addressed by NHRA with the requirement of C-clip eliminators in classes that use slicks...on a drum brake c-clip axle, the shaft will come out of the housing....I have seen many GM axles break, resulting in the wheel coming out from under the car...but with disc brakes, you have an emergency retainer built in.

tealcherokee said:
not gunna lock it. AWD :)

with a stock 4.0 i could still spin tires with my "AWD" np242. since it has a fully open differential inside the transfer case, you break traction with the fronts, then they get all the power just like a open diff in an axle, and the d30 wont handle that much power either. you should at least lsd the rear IMO

tealcherokee said:
Id love to find a d44, but theyre not worth what people want, neither are the 9's around here

i just got a dana 44 from a 87 XJ for $76. is it worth that? go to a pull-a-part junkyard or anywhere you can pull it yourself and take a buddy and good tools.

-tim

im using a np249 out of my grand cherokee, im not worried about the 30 at all, im putting the newer style shafts with the 297x u joints in it

xj 44 rear will run me about $400, the few pick and pulls around here dont have any. I got the 8.8 for $60

tealcherokee said:
im using a np249 out of my grand cherokee, im not worried about the 30 at all, im putting the newer style shafts with the 297x u joints in it

xj 44 rear will run me about $400, the few pick and pulls around here dont have any. I got the 8.8 for $60

8.8 should hold up fine, they are 31 spline i think? good luck it will be sweet and get videos

-tim

Back