• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BPE's

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...
Can someone help me understand these Bar Pin Eliminators...

Quoting the web page...

"Perfect for extending the length of your shocks a bit as well if you've recently trimmed up the level of your lift. Adds approx. 1.25" to the length of your current shocks."

I do not understand this...

By looking at the BPE pictured below it looks like your actually going to LOOSE about 1.25" or more off the length of your shock in the front and rear because of those extended tabs on either side of this thing. The web page says that you can use these particular ones on the front and back.

BPE.jpg

Yes they move one mounting point about an inch lower in the rear and higher in the front. I have them in the rear only and I have DT3000s for a 3" lift (ordered them from JO) and when I totally stuff my tire into the fender, they are like a half inch, maybe less from bottoming out.

However, up front I can tell from the amount of the shock rod that stays dirty that without front BPEs that my shock only has like just under an inch of travel left...not quite 1.25" I would estimate, but I don't have extended bumpstops and pretty much just let my front rusty's HD 3" springs bottom out inside my fenders and make annoying noises.

you lose 1.25" on uptravel but you gain 1.25" on droop which is really what you want anyway, they are great if your shocks are too short after adding a set of spacers and dont want to buy new shocks, but i recommend that you bolt them in place then weld them, i had my front ones come lose on the trail and a bolt fell out. Not fun trying to replace a bolt in the mud

theyre good for broken shock bolts in the rear, If you have ever tried to change rear shocks, the upper bolts break easy.

I have a set of bpe's welded in the rear

creeperjeep said:
theyre good for broken shock bolts in the rear, If you have ever tried to change rear shocks, the upper bolts break easy.

I have a set of bpe's welded in the rear

So you can weld on BPEs in the rear? I broke my bolts and just welded on tw onuts and mounted my shock like that with new bolts, but its a temporay fix at best. Even if I drill out the holes can you mount up the BPEs without welding? or both, which is what I want to do.

ZachMan said:
So you can weld on BPEs in the rear? I broke my bolts and just welded on tw onuts and mounted my shock like that with new bolts, but its a temporay fix at best. Even if I drill out the holes can you mount up the BPEs without welding? or both, which is what I want to do.

weld em in... you will be happier in the long run

ZachMan said:

you can do that but dont waste your time drilling them out, get a punch or a flat headed screw driver, or i used a nut driver stick it in the screw hole and sack it with a hammer 2-3 times and the nuts will pop right out they are only spot welded in 3 places they come right out, then just drop in some bolts from the side of the holes, on the drivers side your gonna have to tape some wire to the bolts and fish them through. then you can bolt up the bpe's and even weld if you want later like im going to do

Thanks, I ma gonna have to look under my Jeep I am missing how I get the bolts through the "side" I thought you have to go through the floor from the top, I mean the nuts you pop out I didn't think you could access them from the underside.

ZachMan said:
Thanks, I ma gonna have to look under my Jeep I am missing how I get the bolts through the "side" I thought you have to go through the floor from the top, I mean the nuts you pop out I didn't think you could access them from the underside.

you can access them from underneth, just find a bolt or screw driver slightly bigger then the stock bolt and wack them out, then towards the outside edge of the jeep from the bolt holes you will see a square access hole on the passengers side you can fit your hand in there and drop the new bolts in, on the drivers side for some reason its tighter thats where you have to use the wire. I gotta try and get some pics of it to explain it better

dmxjg35c said:
you can access them from underneth, just find a bolt or screw driver slightly bigger then the stock bolt and wack them out, then towards the outside edge of the jeep from the bolt holes you will see a square access hole on the passengers side you can fit your hand in there and drop the new bolts in, on the drivers side for some reason its tighter thats where you have to use the wire. I gotta try and get some pics of it to explain it better

Just went outside and I see what your saying...glad you spoke up haha. I was about to start cutting up my cargo area, lol.

fdsa487 said:
The web page says that you can use these particular ones on the front and back.

if those are the ones from rocky road (and they look like it), they will need to be "modified" (ahem) to fit in the front, despite assurances to the contrary.

not a huge deal, but if you're planning on installing them just hours before leaving for a big wheeling trip (D'OH!), it will certainly delay your departure.

don't ask me how i know.

MMIXJ said:
if those are the ones from rocky road (and they look like it), they will need to be "modified" (ahem) to fit in the front, despite assurances to the contrary.

not a huge deal, but if you're planning on installing them just hours before leaving for a big wheeling trip (D'OH!), it will certainly delay your departure.

don't ask me how i know.

They are the ones from rockey road. Man whatever those dudes took forever to ship them. What needs to be modified?

fdsa487 said:
They are the ones from rockey road. Man whatever those dudes took forever to ship them. What needs to be modified?

that's classic!
...i heard all kinds of (lame) excuses while i was waiting forever for mine... they showed up (way late) the day i was supposed to leave for moab. i was not happy when i went to install them only to find out A) the bolt holes don't line up B) they don't really fit in the space well to begin with.

if i remember, i had to grind the corners to get them to fit in the coil bucket/mount and then also had to wallow out a hole on either side so the bolts would drop. then paint and wait to dry so they wouldn't rust. i finally rolled into moab at 2am and slept under the jeep that night 'cuz i was too tired to set up the tent!

that said, they are solid and do what they advertise-- they just don't fit as advertised (which makes sense, as nobody else claims to sell one pair that fits both front and rear).

good luck. hope you have a grinder and a sharp drill bit. ;)

MMIXJ said:
that's classic!
...i heard all kinds of (lame) excuses while i was waiting forever for mine... they showed up (way late) the day i was supposed to leave for moab. i was not happy when i went to install them only to find out A) the bolt holes don't line up B) they don't really fit in the space well to begin with.

if i remember, i had to grind the corners to get them to fit in the coil bucket/mount and then also had to wallow out a hole on either side so the bolts would drop. then paint and wait to dry so they wouldn't rust. i finally rolled into moab at 2am and slept under the jeep that night 'cuz i was too tired to set up the tent!

that said, they are solid and do what they advertise-- they just don't fit as advertised (which makes sense, as nobody else claims to sell one pair that fits both front and rear).

good luck. hope you have a grinder and a sharp drill bit. ;)

Im going to be installing them this weekend. They will not be receiving any more of my business.

Back