• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle leaking (again) what am I doing wrong?

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
Rear XJ44, replaced bearing, race, retainer ring, and seal. axle slides in, 4 nuts tightened down on the retainer plate and I get a slow leak over time.... am I missing something here? I have pulled the shaft twice, no dice.

P

If the axle shaft is not scored...Im willing to bet that the axle housing is bent...is it leaking from the bottom or top side of the seal

Bottom side of the seal. You thing the tube may be bent? Do you mean out of round where the seal would seat? I tried some RTV last time, maybe it wasn't dry enough or dedn't have time to set...I'll try that again. Any more wisdom out there?

P

The tube may be bent in relation to the axle. Everything should be parallel and concentric for the seals to work properly. You say it is seeping from the bottom right? The bottom of what? The flange or the axle itself. If it is leaking at the seal to axle mating surface on the lower seal lip, then your housing tube is bent slightly down, or your flange end is bent slightly down. The seal is getting more contact from the axle at the top, and not enough at the bottom. The opposite applies if the tube or flange is bent upwards. The housing can be straightened, but you need to strip the axle completely, and remove it. If you try to do it on the vehicle, you may blow up due to the proximity of the fuel tank. I'd recommend taking it to shop, though you can do it yourself with a rosebud, small porta-power, straightedge, a fab table, and a good jig set up. You'll need a few measuring implements, as well as the ability to use them. Or, just get the housing replaced. Just my 2 cents, after taxes, not worth a thing. Dann

Last edited:
are you using straight cut bearings or tapered bearings? They make both for an XJ D44. When I replaced mine I was reading the little info paper that came with the bearing and 1 was to be oilled (no inner seal) and the other is to have grease (inner seal)

It may be leaking because the seal is getting hot because you're roasting the bearing. That's what happened to mine.

Tapered bearing, and we packed it with grease anyway just to be safe. I figured it couldn't hurt. Diff fluid id supposed to flow down the tube to lube the bearing, I just wish it would stop at the seal. I pulled the passenger side shaft last night to "compare" and the only difference is that side doesn't leak. I am running mobil-1 synthetic, maybe good 'ol fossil fuel gear oil might not leak? I'm stumped.

P

Dann, I am suprised to say that I actually understand what you are saying :) I will pull the axle again tonight and see where precisely the leak is, it looked to me as if it was leaking from the seal to tube mating surface, not seal to shaft which I guess means the tube may be bent down, great. I am hoping I have just seated the seal poorly.

Back