• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan wont stop running(not electric fan)

port98xj

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 xj's main fan is always running. Is this normal? I could have sworn that once this thing warmed up or ran for a while it shut off. I can hear it humming loudly under acceleration, where as with my 94 xj and this one, I wouldnt hear the fan after the truck ran for a while. Its not my electric fan, I know what that sounds like. The temp. is running around 200 - 210 during highway driving and about 210 at idle. Does that fan have any kind of temp sensor, I recently flushed the cooling system. I have searched for 30min any help would be greatly appreciated.

The mechanical fan will spin all of the time but it wont be "engaged" all the time. The thermostat control is built into the hub of the fan. Sounds like yours might have an issue.

yeah i think i need a new fan clutch too, as for the electrical fan what you can do is hard wire it to your battery and run a little on off flip switch inside your cab. there is a ground and a live wire on the electrical fan so ground the blck one and the red one can go to your batt. that way if your wheelin and you start to get hot you can turn it on or off whenever you like. u should prolly also replace your t-stat. and flush your rad. while your at it.

Not much help, since the temperature controlled clutches for the fans do all sorts of weird things when they fail.

WITH THE ENGINE OFF!
if the radiator and area around the clutch is cool, the clutch for the fan shouldn't give much resistance at all to turning the fan. Turn the fan with your hand, it should be easy to spin it, but it won't spin freely there will be a little resistance.

If it resists you more, than likely the thing is bad. A fan clutch could pass that test and still be bad. From the sounds of it, you fan clutch is most likely bad.

So the fan clutch is temp controlled. I wonder what temp makes the fan stay engaged. I think I will replace the thermostat first. Maybe she will run cooler. If not I guess I will replace the fan clutch. Thanks for all the input!

per the FSM.....if the mech fan, when the engine bay/motor is completely cool, spins more than five complete revolutions when spun by your fingers ("freewheels with little or no drag") then you need to replace it

Back