• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap and abs

cw50must

NAXJA Forum User
I want to swap in an 8.25 to replace my D35. Question is what to do with the abs? Will I have any problems just not haiving it hooked up? I am ok with it not work, I just want to know if this is going to trigger any lights on the dash or cause me any other problems.

why not swap the ABS ring and toner over as well.if you really want to get fancy you could even put rear disks on from a 35 in a Grand Cherokee with little effort

There has been a lot of talk on this stuff recently. Search "abs" You can unplug it, you will get a light. You can rip everything out. You can cut the wires to the light. Some one said there is something to unplug to turn the light off. If you have a 2000 like me, you can't just pull the fuse cause it also runs the heater/air fan. Lot's of options.

Dirt Surfer said:
There has been a lot of talk on this stuff recently. Search "abs" You can unplug it, you will get a light. You can rip everything out. You can cut the wires to the light. Some one said there is something to unplug to turn the light off. If you have a 2000 like me, you can't just pull the fuse cause it also runs the heater/air fan. Lot's of options.

Um, not so much. I pulled the ABS fuse, ABS solenoid fuse, and the ABS light fuse...my heat worked fine all winter in my '01...

Wil Badger said:
why not swap the ABS ring and toner over as well.if you really want to get fancy you could even put rear disks on from a 35 in a Grand Cherokee with little effort

No way to install a tone sensor on a 8.25 without major work, no way to install a tone ring on an 8.25 without major work

thought there might have been enough room .can it be put on the 44 or can it be done.

and now that i'm up and moving i don't know why i was thinking it fit on the 8.25 because thats why they used the 35 with the ABS option.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Um, not so much. I pulled the ABS fuse, ABS solenoid fuse, and the ABS light fuse...my heat worked fine all winter in my '01...

Umm, so much. My fuse #25 is labled "ABS, Climate controls". When I pull it, my fan does not run. I've only wheeled in the summer, didn't need heat. It would have been nice to run the fan for some air though. I don't know if everyone's is like that, I just know mine is. Mkay

Now what is the "ABS light fuse"? That I want to know about. I yanked my whole system. How do I get rid of the light? Thanks

Last edited:
a dana 44 from a grand cherokee had abs...so heres what you do

swap in a dana 44 from a xj and use the axle shafts from a grand cherokee with the disc breaks...apparently the abs sensors from the grand cherokee will plug right in...

i have not done this..but have been looking at doing disc breaks to my dana 35 that have abs, so i have read up on this alot

Dirt Surfer said:
Umm, so much. My fuse #25 is labled "ABS, Climate controls". When I pull it, my fan does not run. I've only wheeled in the summer, didn't need heat. It would have been nice to run the fan for some air though. I don't know if everyone's is like that, I just know mine is. Mkay

Now what is the "ABS light fuse"? That I want to know about. I yanked my whole system. How do I get rid of the light? Thanks

I'll look under my hood, I don't remember which fuses I pulled but I remember there were two in the hood, one was labelled "ABS Solenoid" and the other was maybe "ABS"....to kill the light, there is a fuse in the kick panel on the drivers side I believe, I'll check which one it was, I don't remember if it was labeled or I looked in the FSM...I am scannig the FSM for fuse diagrams....

edit: I can't figure it out from the diagram, I did all this a year ago, I'll look under the hood/kick panel and let you know, shoulnd't be any different between my '01 and your '00, but I definitely do not have functional ABS anymore (swapped in a 8.25 and discs), I can lock up all 4 wheels, and there is no ABS light on...

Last edited:
canadianwheeler said:
I ended up taking my dash apart (4 screws) and taking the abs light bulb out on my 92.

haha... canadian enginuity... gotta love that solution... probably what I would have done

Has anyone tried shortened Liberty axles? They are an 8.25 and some have ABS. I was thinking a custom built axle that would fit one of them but the correct lenght for an XJ would work. Ideas?

cw50must said:
I want to swap in an 8.25 to replace my D35. Question is what to do with the abs? Will I have any problems just not haiving it hooked up? I am ok with it not work, I just want to know if this is going to trigger any lights on the dash or cause me any other problems.

You will be without ABS, the ABS light will come on, and to get it to turn off you have to pull the ABS light relay(it is clearly marked :ABS Light) in the underhood fuse box. Don't worry about pulling any other fuses, solenoids, or relays. I just swapped in an 8.25 last Tuesday.

That is all yo have to do unless you figure out a way to put ABS on the 8.25.

Last edited:
So I checked my fuse box under the hood this morning. I pulled two fuses, one 40A and one 20A, one labeled "ABS" and the other labeled "ABS SOL" which I assume means ABS solenoid. I also pulled the ABS relay, which is in the same box, and is, as Ex CCS Racer said, labeled "ABS Light"...my heat and fan work fine.

xj_mike said:
Has anyone tried shortened Liberty axles? They are an 8.25 and some have ABS. I was thinking a custom built axle that would fit one of them but the correct lenght for an XJ would work. Ideas?

Sound like a lot of work to maintain a really crappy ABS system anyway, I hated mine when I had it, it just made things worse and didn't work when I needed it.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Sound like a lot of work to maintain a really crappy ABS system anyway, I hated mine when I had it, it just made things worse and didn't work when I needed it.

You know, every time I have tried to get this type of info, all I ever seem to get is "I hate ABS...Why need it... blah, blah, blah". Am I not a fan of ABS, but at the same time, I am not the only one driving the XJ and I would not say everyone who does, can brake without the need for it. Plus, I get an insurance discount for having it and if I was in an accident and it was found to be removed, they (or good lawyers) could deny the claim.

Basically, if you don't have an answer to it, stop telling me to remove the ABS. I am sure I am not the only ONE out in the XJ world who might want to keep ABS when switching from a D35 to an 8.25. :rolleyes:

Sorry but this just flames me.

is the Libbys axle a different length shaft... if so you still might be able to have the ring tones pressed onto you 8.25 shafts and steal the cables...alot more work i would think than doing a 44 with abs

xj_mike said:

Basically, if you don't have an answer to it, stop telling me to remove the ABS. I am sure I am not the only ONE out in the XJ world who might want to keep ABS when switching from a D35 to an 8.25. :rolleyes:

Sorry but this just flames me.
I agree with you I would like to keep my abs and eventully i would like to upgrade my rear axle

From what I have gathered, the axle flanges are different and there is no place to put the rings on the XJ axles. I don't know if doing the swap over to shortened KJ axle would also require the disc brakes, which would not be all bad. I don't know anyone with a KJ to look at. :(

Back