• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full-time 4WD V's 2WD (Selec-Trac)

dazza

NAXJA Forum User
:sad1: Hi, newbie here - be nice
Has anyone done a comparisson between full-time 4WD V's 2WD. Is the petrol (Gas) consumption more for F/T 4WD and what about tyre wear etc. I cant see the few extra moving parts making that much difference and the power to weight ratio stays the same. If there is no (or minimal) difference then why not keep it AWD as many vehicles are today. Thanks. PS, I did search before asking this simple question.

Last edited:
When in full time I notice a little bit of binding in the turns when accelerating out of a corner...this tells me that more resistance has to be overcome by the engine which in turn uses more fuel. Traveling in a straight line wouldn't really have any effect either way but I will say that city driving on dry pavement in full time does use more fuel. Your driving style will obviously dictate whatever but this is IMHO.

Slo-Sho said:
When in full time I notice a little bit of binding in the turns when accelerating out of a corner...this tells me that more resistance has to be overcome by the engine which in turn uses more fuel. Traveling in a straight line wouldn't really have any effect either way but I will say that city driving on dry pavement in full time does use more fuel. Your driving style will obviously dictate whatever but this is IMHO.
I think I can agree with this.

Running in full-time 4WD on dry pavement will nick you about 2 to 3 MPG compared to 2WD.

My dad's Jeep is full time and mine is 2WD and we get just the same mileage, respectively. However, he does more freeway driving and I do more city driving, so I could possibly get better mileage if we drove exactly the same.

Back