• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Tires

mrschendel said:
Is P225/70R16 the only tire to run on a stock 2001 4x4 xj. Could you run a little wider tires safely? Not many to choose from out there

You can run marginally wider tires, but bear in mind that altering tire width will also change diameter. Try this: go here (requires Java) and enter a stock tire size of 225/70R16. Set the 'new' tire to 235/70R16. Notice that the stock tire has a diameter of 28.4", the new one 29.0". Three-fifths of an inch over stock isn't enough to make a real difference, for what it's worth. Now try it with a 'new' tire size of 245/65R16; diameter's 28.5", or one-tenth of an inch over stock.

What I'm saying is that if you're trying to keep as close to stock as possible while going to a wider tire, you'll need to alter the aspect ratio to compensate. I don't know what the hard limits are on this, but my suspicion is that a stock vehicle with wider than 255-section tires (with the aspect ratio adjusted accordingly) will start to rub at full lock or under articulation.

A descent all around tire, i always run w/ MT's so they are deffinatly more silent than what i am used to, my bro and my buddy both have them, and they do fine in the snow, as for noise, out of a square xj, usually just as much wind noise as tire noise....which i'd say therefore they are pretty quiet. Bridgestone Dueler at revo's i hear tons of good things about and are very quiet. Good luck w/ whatever you go w/.

I have the Dueler AT Revo's...pretty quiet. Waiting for snow so I can try them out, but I've heard very positive things from other owners. Tirerack.com has a section for reviews on every tire they carry, you might check there to see what other owners have to say before dropping big bucks on tires.

What kinda tire are you looking for? daily driven steert vehicle with good looks and some off road performance, long tire life, smooth ride, or all of the above? if you rlooking for a good all around tire the BFG Allterrain T/A is the best way to go in my oppinion. it will last a long time it rides fairly smooth for a A/T tire great looks and if kept in alignment (meaning every 6 months or 6,000 mi as recomended. espicially if you go off road) and properly rotated, and ballanced (same as alignment) they will also stay pretty quiet.

another good allterrain in the Toyo Open Country A/T in MOST sizes it carries a 40,000 mile warranty on treadlife (again following back to the alignment and rotation and balancing) it tends to have a little rougher ride than the BFG but it also stays quieter longer for those that dont allways do the regular R&B as well as Align. in my personal oppinion i dont feel that it performs quite as well off road but both are fairly equal. in the snow the BFG takes the cake hands down due to many more sipes in the tire. the sipes allow for water evac as well as better traction on slick rocks due to the tread is able to move more (meaning shorter tire life)

sorry for the novel just tossin in my 2 cents. i have worked at 2 major tire chains and i am currently the service manager at the one who currently employs me. so i have seen as well as personally owned / tested many differant tires. ALL tires are great untill you try something better. then they ALL suck.

Back