• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

feelin stupid

GreenbeltXJ

ACTUAL WHEELER
i feel stupid for asking this and im pretty sure i know the answer but is the front drive shaft saposed to turn when ure driving in 2wd?

i have a 92 2dr with 3in rustys lift with 2in spacers and shackle, and a t-case lowering kit. i don't think the lowering kit helped becasue the front drive shaft is spinning and im hearing a "clink" when i put it in drive or reverse. ive also noticed a slipping in the transmission when at steady acceleration. have i already f**ked up my suff?

Yes. The 1991-up XJ did not have a disconnect front axle, therefore the differential is turning anytime the vehicle is moving. 2WD/4WD connection is taken care of in the transfer case proper - when you're in 2WD, the front output "freewheels."

As far as the noise you're getting, check your universal joints. Grab the driveshaft to either side of the joint, and shake it. Also, twist the two parts in opposite directions. If there is ANY play, it's time to change your U-joints. Ive you have a decent-sized shop vise and a selection of larger sockets, you can do it yourself. Most shops around here will charge $15-20 per joint to change them - base prices in your area off of that. If they'll let you, watch the first time, so you can do it the next time. It's really quite easy.

Once you have that resolved, you can start to work on the transmission issue - I don't have enough information to help you with a diagnosis just yet. However, I'd check the fluid - is it still very red, or does it have a brownish cast to it? If it's anything other than red, you'll want to change it - you'll need four quarts of DexronII/III non-synthetic. Pull the plug, let drain, replace the plug, and refill through the dipstick tube.

5-90

i replaced the tranny fluid and filter about 3mos. ago so the should be good, it was also choking out on the initial take off and i went an ran some codes, i got 76, and 24. 76 is the fuel pump ballast relay, so i changed that out but itdidn't do anything, 24 is the throtle body position sensor, i ordered one should be here tomarrow.

as with the tranny the slipping feels more like the torque converter when i was driving the jeep was still pulling but the RPM were climing faster than they shoulda been. after the shift i floored it so it would down shift but it stayed in the same gear.

Back