• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Design of LA crossmember

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I am going to build my long arm setup this weekend and hopefully be able to get the jeep off the jackstands. I am using RE superflex joints at the frame mounts and rubber bushings every where else. I want to build a crossmember to keep the LCAs mounted inside the frame rail. What are you guys using? Any tips on materials or construction, and pics would be appreciated.

Heres mine!!

It has all the dimensions of a stocker but with a little drop built in.The brackets are flush with the bottom.

crossmember.jpg

RCP Phx,

Are you just going on the assumption that you will rarely have to drop the tranny?

The control arms are only two bolts that are fairly easy to remove. I would rather have a slighty harder time dropping the tranny than have rocks or stumps rip off my LCA mounts, if they were under the frame rails.

what materials did you use for it?

and how often do you actualley drop your tranney for it to be any kind of problum?

will

I spent alot of time thinking about all this.My concerns were based on the needed strength for the inboard mounting and the need to try and stiffen the Uni-body whenever possible.These pics are early on,but I have more to do when it cools down(Oct)!As far as materials I started with 2x4 tube and 2x2 angle!

mvc-008f.jpg

what kinda thickness are we looking at?

RCP Phx, did you start out with a stock cross member? If so, what do you have to do to build in the drop? Do you just lower the middle dip that the t-case is sitting on?

Im using mostly .120" and .188" depends on the part.As I said Im not done,its extends fore/aft for additional strength and protection.I also added additional ribbing where I cut it open,its also sleeved for the xf case bolts so the are no holes anywhere!

Last edited:
Back