• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thous shall not...

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
... use a gas tank skid that attaches to the gas tank.

100_2250.jpg

Guy in a minivan pulls up alongside my motorhome near St. George Utah this afternoon and yells that I'm dragging something behind my Jeep. I stop and take a look.

100_2251.jpg

Then again, without the skid plate, the Jeep might have been a rolling fireball and the motorhome... well, I don't want to consider the possibilites.

100_2256.jpg

One good whack on either Steel Bender or Hell's Revenge on Thursday got me this:
100_2261.jpg

Didn't notice it until the right side bolt in the rear of the skid finally let go.

100_2253.jpg

I decided that the final 110 miles was most safely done like this:

100_2257.jpg

100_2258.jpg

Safely home in Vegas.

Captain Ron said:
I'd say you dodged a major bullet.
Don't I know it! It couldn't have been but a few seconds. There's hardly any damage to the skid. And if the bolt on the left side let go first, it would have torn through the filler neck and fuel lines right way. Add sparks from the dragging steel and I would have been flat towing a fireball with purple bumpers.

Pretty scary; glad you're alright, Andy.

TIM

whoa. Glad everything is ok. My skid is mounted independently from the gas tank. :)

Back