• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

What would indicate a bad flexplate. My Mechanic tells me that the flexplate is messed up on my 91 cherokee 4x4, with a 4.0 and AW4. What are signs of this. I actually took it in to have the rear differential looked at not the flywheel!! What kind of problems will missing teeth on the flexplate cause?

Also hos much should I expect to pay for this? Lanor? Parts?

Thank You,
Mike M., New Mexico

I just did a flexplate on an '88. The problem I found, which I've been told is fiarly common, is that the center of the flex plate starts to crack in a circle around where it bolts to the crank shaft. The result is a knocking sound that is somewhat like the sound of a bad rod bearing.

I think I paid about $65 for a Crown flex plate, and I also bought new bolts to mount it to the crank and new torque converter bolts. I can't estimate the labor -- I did mine at home in a very cramped garage with just a jack and jack stands, working in spare time. A shop with a lift and a tranny jack could probbaly do it in a few hours.

Back