• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach Help.

crazyXj33

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ with a 4.0 HO, I'm installing a aftermarket Tach and would like to know how or where can I install the GREEN wire? I have looked at the coil and can't figure it out? Can someone please help without suggesting to me that it would be eaiser to swap the entire gauge cluster, I don't want to do that. Or is there an exsiting wire I can tap into?

Last edited:
Well I know that the tach has to be connnected to the negative wire but, all there is is a plug not terminals like the older ones. So I was wondering if I could just splice in the wire and do the same?

You probably can splice in to the coil's negative lead, but more than likely there's already a tach wire in the harness that terminates in the plug that connects to your instrument cluster. Often, harnesses include all wires/jacks for all accessories (in your case, a panel with tach) available with your model. Get a wiring diagram for your specific year and look it up.

My 1995 FSM shows the tach signal comes from pin 43 on the ECM and is a Gray wire with a Light- Blue stripe. It goes to pin A6 on the instrument panel cluster connector.

Back