• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Ratio

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I did a search and came up empty. I know it was there, but where is it? I want to know my crawl ratio.
TIA. :confused:

Thank you Vug.
That info will be very useful for a long time.
One thing though, I always thought that 1st gear in the AW4 was more in the neighbourhood of 3.7:1. I guess the torque converter is what multiplies the torque. I now understand why the board cautions against 35+ tires with 3.55 gears.
Thanks again.
:)

One minor item that is wrong on that chart. The 87-90 AW4's have a 0.70 OD ratio, but it is correct for the 91-up.

I'm looking at my Advanced Adapters catalog and it says the AW4 has a 2.4 first and a .69 OD. Maybe these are both ratios for 87-90??

Of course they also said of the AW4 "This transmission was introduced in 1989 with teh high output 4.0L 6 cylinder engine in Jeep Cherokees"

there are 2 pretty blatant errors in that statement, perhaps they messed up on the ratios too :confused:

Can one multiply everything with 2, because of the torque converter? Or does it have another "ratio"? I've seen the data for several other automatics, and they're all listed as "2:1" ratio for the torque converter. Or is it rubbish to calculate this into the crawl ratio this way?

Back