• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worn lsd

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 XJ has totally worn factory lsd. When I rotate the rear driveshaft one wheel rotate forward and the other backward, like an open diff. So I guess my lsd is totally shot. Will it ruin the rear axle if I just leave it like it is, and dont rebuild it. Or will it contribute to a faster destruction of the rear axle?

The jeep has 230.000 km ~ 143000 miles.

regards
Torfinn

a lot of times it will do that, a LSD works like an open diff until the fluid gets warm and makes the clutches grab

It will not harm the axle to continue driving it like that.

The Trac-Lok can be rebuilt, if you would like to restore its functionality. The parts come as a kit with new metal shims and new clutch plates. I have not priced the rebuild kits for a couple or three years, but the last time I checked I think the price was about $65 (U.S.). You would also need to add a new bottle of friction additive to the gear oil when doing a rebuild. The friction modifier is available through Jeep (and other MOPAR) dealers.

Back