• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk ...???

XJ Samo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hearing a culnking sound when I turn or go over a bump.
I'm wondering if this could be my control arm bushings?
The sound is definatly in comming from the front both sides, does not really effect handeling slight pull to the right though. I can feel it a little when I'm steering and it makes the noise.
Please help
Thanks Sam

Sure sounds like when my LCA bolts got a little loose (axle end). I'd check that all the control arm bolts are torqued properly first, then start looking at the bushings.

Any body know what the torque specs are for the control arms?
Sam

Check your front shocks. Make sure there tight and that the bushings are still intact. Either things will make them "clunk". Grab the shock and pull it back and forth.

Sam, I chased a front noise for 18 mths, checked every bush, bolt, arm ever mentioned in other posts and it turned out to be the steering box mounting bolts. They weren't even loose but did 'nip' up a bit and now the noise is gone, I'm very happy. Mine's a '94 Sport and it did have a factory recall on the steering box mounts way back in about '95. It's worth a look.
Good luck from Australia

Back