• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best brake pads for XJs?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay I need to replace my pads within a week, but this gives me enough time to (if I have to) order a good set. I just want pads that work well (I'm on 35s) and DO NOT squeek or squeal.

I see anything from "get the autozone pads" to "get ceramic pads" top whatever. I just want some nice good quality pads. I hear Wagner is a good brand, but they all make different types of pads and I am not sure what will work best for me?

I just picked up a set of pads from a local speed shop. They were wagners, only paid like 18bucks for them. They were just some cheap wagners, nothing fancy about them. I had a set of these on my last car, pads lasted almost 2 years. If you dont care about brake dust and some occasional noises here and there just go with the cheap autozone or advance pads. Ceramics are good, but i've heard bad things about them in cold weather. just my .02$

I am not as picky about the brand as I am about what they are made out of. I have a set of ceramics from autozone. Work great, last a long time and don't make as much dust.

I hear ceramics arn't real good till they heat up, but 35s should heat them up fast, haha.

Not sure if they have them for Jeeps, but on my Mazda's I use Axxis Metal Master's (Also called PBR's sometime) and they are awesome, and VERY little dust. I race the mazda, and they do not heat fade.

ZachMan said:
I hear ceramics arn't real good till they heat up, but 35s should heat them up fast, haha.

They work great even cold. Although it is never really cold here! :sunshine:

I can't remember if I have the wagners, moog or some other OEM resemblance but you get what you pay for. I think just the pads were like 28bucks a set. I did my whole system for less than $200. That was new calipers, semi-metallic pads, rotors, rear shoes and all new hardware as well as wheel bearings and a new rear line. If you're mechanically inclined expect to do your own for less than 60, front and rear pads. As far as ceramics go, it's not a highspeed vehicle that needs to stop from 70-80mph fast and back to back. For less dust and more $ they aren't worth it. The brand I got even forgave my stupidity when I forgot to spray anti-squeal or whatever it is. I seen some guys spray this on the back of the front pads or some blue jelly stuff and it supposedly,cause it's a jeep helps stop squeal? I didn't, just slapped em on and away I went. Of course I broke them in right and let them set up on the rotors but have yet to get a squeal in 5k. Wife's '92 2wd just had fronts replaced and that's where I saw the shop spray that blue stuff on and hers is starting to squeal....go figure.

Last edited:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html
The key to not having squeal and decent life from brakes is bedding them in properly.
After you do brakes and rotors you need to go out on a country road and heat the brakes up a bit.
Do 6-8 NEAR stops from 55-60 MPH. DO NOT STOP COMPLETELY, doing so with the rotors and pads so hot will make a pad imprint. You're looing to heat the brakes up so you get a light coating of pad material onto the rotor and break any glaze there may be on the pad.
A funny smell or even smoke is normal, the goal is consistent heat.
When you're finished the rotor should have a ligth grey film, that's pad transfer, over a blueing tint. The blue tine says that the rotor got up to the proper temp.
Do a search for brake bedding in on google. You'll find all sorts of info.

Some of you like the ceramics but not me! I had trouble with the pads craking in the middle, which caused poor braking and noise. Went through 3 sets then gave up. I went to Rhaybestos and have been happy. I tow a 3000# trailer on a daily basis with my XJ, that may have had something to with it though.

Put me in the "go to AutoZone and ask for Cherokee brake pads" group. They work fine and don't make noise as long as you resurface or replace the rotors when you replace the pads. If you just slap new pads on the old rotor, you risk noises and possible pulsations no matter what pads you're using.

I use the wearever silvers recently and have a set of golds on the shelf. Seem to work as well as anything else Ive tried. Of course I don't do much highway/mountainous driving so I wouldn't know how quickly they fade.

i cringe every time someone comes up to the counter wanting the cheapest brake pads we have. i don't know about you guys, but brakes are something i dont like to skimp on. one of these days it might be your life you're talking about, and i think an extra 15-20 bucks for some premium pads will be worth it in the long run. i know if i have to make a panic stop i'd rather know i have good quality pads grabbing.

XgeekstarX said:
i cringe every time someone comes up to the counter wanting the cheapest brake pads we have. i don't know about you guys, but brakes are something i dont like to skimp on. one of these days it might be your life you're talking about, and i think an extra 15-20 bucks for some premium pads will be worth it in the long run. i know if i have to make a panic stop i'd rather know i have good quality pads grabbing.

In my opinion with a stock brake system the pads aren't the weak point.

XgeekstarX said:
The OEM pads are made by the lowest bidder, are they not?

I think I am going to try the AXXIS Metal Mashers for the XJ. My buddy has a set of AXXIS on his Toyota and they are really nice. What I am wondering is what are the best brake shoes for the XJ. BTW 86 2.5L 4x4 Dana 35.

Back