• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 - 27 spline

wrd74

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I've done some searching but was unable to find the answer's I was looking for. I have a 94 Cherokee with the 8.25 rear, and was wondering how it compared to the Dana 35, considering that my 8.25 only has the 27 spline axles in it? I do realize that the 29 spline version is definitely a better axe. Is the 27 spline setup really that bad.

Also does my 8.25 have C-Clips holding the axles in? I've heard nothing but bad things about Dana 35's with them.

If I were to get some 29 spline axles from a 97 and up Cherokee, would I be able to just pop them right in, or would I have to change the carrier to?

My Truck is stock at the moment, but I'm only planning on running 31x10.50 BFG's.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Wayde

The D35 just don't compaire. Some have good luck, most have bad luck. The 8.25 is a good upgrade.
The 27 spliners aint too bad.
Yes, they do have C clips. Add disc brakes, but keep the C clips in. That would stop the tire from coming out all the way if the axle were to break.
You will have to change at least the spider gears, but the carrier should be fine.
A 27 spline should sufface with 31's.

Last edited:
27-spline C8.25 is still going to be a step above the D35...among other advantages are the (relatively) large pinion and the thicker axletubes.

Yes, it still has c-clips but disk brakes will hold that shiz together...

I'm thinking the 29-spline axles and side gears are all you need, but it's been so long since I've contemplated that swap that I can safely say I don't remember.

Dangit - 12gauge beat me by seconds....
happyfinger.gif

Back