• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Axle Seals Leaking

baseballneal86

NAXJA Forum User
Could changing from regular 80W-90 diff fluid to synthetic 80W-90 cause my Dana 44 axle seals to start leaking? I've heard people say that changing from regular to synth engine oil can cause leaks, and I'm wondering if the same could hold true to diff fluid?

Also, is changing the seals as easy as pulling the shafts, cutting off the bearings, and pressing on all new stuff?

baseballneal86 said:
Could changing from regular 80W-90 diff fluid to synthetic 80W-90 cause my Dana 44 axle seals to start leaking? I've heard people say that changing from regular to synth engine oil can cause leaks, and I'm wondering if the same could hold true to diff fluid?

Also, is changing the seals as easy as pulling the shafts, cutting off the bearings, and pressing on all new stuff?

I don't know if the oil switch started things off, but form my personal experience the seal job is just "as easy as pulling the shafts, cutting off the bearings, and pressing on all new stuff", if you consider that easy. I've done a few and it isn't terribly difficult, just tedious getting the old stuff off.

Good luck.

The quality of the seal and the surface it rides on is the biggest concern.If its not leaking now--its a good bet it wont with a change to synthetic gear lube.
Wayne

Back