• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Wishbone project

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
Here's some various pics.......

wishbone1.JPG

this is an older "imaginary version" the links are MUCH higher now...

wishbone2.JPG

the link layout, including the wishbone and original joint idea

wishbone7.JPG

the rest of these are detail pictures of the joint, which the success of the design decides wether I wheel for an hour in moab and get laughed at (that will happen anyway) while hinkley welds my shit for corona, or I keep ridin' and see what happens next....

joint1.JPG

joint2.JPG

joint3.JPG

joint4.JPG

I like the tapered bearings and all, but why not just use a Johnny Joint or a 1.25" rod end mounted with the bolt verticle?

are you doing anything majorly different than Wanderingwillys (thats what he goes by on PBB, forget what he goes by here...), are you planning on hydro-assist (or full hydro), I remember wanderingwillys saying he needed it with his.

Beez..I like it looks great! I too like the tapered bearing joint you made I am wanting to build one like that for my rear bumper/tire carrier pivot.

Using a JJ as the single pivot point from what I have heard is just not strong enough for this. There are alot of varied forces on this joint that the JJ or a heim cannot handle in one.

Tim

One ton can probably comment on the rod end survival expectancy....as for the johhny, they are not designed to control energy in t he plane that I need them to.....when positioned int eh plane that they ARE designed to work in, they do not offer enough articulation for this design....

as for wandering willys, I'm not sure what he is running........however, he might be the guy that one ton was talking about during a conversation about wishobone joints....he mentioned someone modifying a trailer hub or something like that....if wandering willys is that guy, than yes, this joint idea was directly inspired by his hub idea, so....my hats off to the man.

wasn't it wanderingwillys that had a 3/4" rod end break and then he replaced it with the hub thingy? I don't think you would be breaking a 1.25" rodend, those things are about as big as your hand! I saw one used on a front upper wishbone on a heavy buggy with a big-block ramjet whatever and that monster rod-end just laughed at it.

I have no idea.......

look at this this way:

it didn't take me long to spin tat stock on my lathe, and the damn thing has 360 degrees worth of articulation!

dig that!

I realize that some of the things I end up with are not always the most direct, time-saving, or logical!

:D

Beezil said:
One ton can probably comment on the rod end survival expectancy....as for the johhny, they are not designed to control energy in t he plane that I need them to.....when positioned int eh plane that they ARE designed to work in, they do not offer enough articulation for this design....

First off OT needs to learn what size rod end to use, 3/4" is not the correct one, as he found out.

Yes, this is out of pure experience, the JJ from Currie can survive, even comp type abuse, on a side load. ie using it on a trianglated 3 link arm. (Yes I said three link, wishbone if you want)
However, I wouldn't put it on a daily driver with a side load, but then neither would I do a tri-3 link/wishbone on a daily driver. Yes Beezil I know you're not building a DD I just wanted to be clear about the conditions on which I would push/use a particular set up.

Beezil,

Nice joint, but a question for you... How are you going to keep the dirt and sand out of the bearings?

mark
orgs mfg

Beezil,

Looking back at those pictures I did notice that axle is WWWWAAAYYYYY to nice looking to be under your rig... So another question who's rig is that?:D

hinkley

the two washers have around .005 clearance between the joint. I know that is enough to let moab silt in, but eveone knows, once you mix moab silt with water, you get a high-quality, natural, clay-based grease!

perhaps adding a zerk will help force out the other junk.....

Beezil, go to the Timkin site, enter your specs and look up the sealed bearings you need. I have some sweet items on the prototype bench which I will debute in Moab, I used Timkins site extensively...hint hint hint.

Nice work..wish I had the machinerey you have access to, I would be probably building a space craft by now!

XJguy

Looks like a good start. Somebody needs to get you a 'trial' version of AutoCad to help you save trees. Nice work on that link. Trailer axles have been used for the center axle mount before, are sealed and have tapered bearings. They aren't home-made though, some peeps have way too much time on their hands, you can get them from www.rockstomper.com.

Nice work Beez.

At my old job we used bearings similar to those in the rolls for our tooling. If you find a seal to fit the housing holding your bearing and install the seal backwards you can grease the shiat out of it until your grease comes out clean. We had to do this every 8 hours and it greatly extended the life of our bearings. Or just install the seals like normal and replace the bearings every year.
That is some nice looking work BTW. :D

P.S. If you or anyone else needs a "trial" version of Autocad or Solidworks let me know.

Back