• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil bucket idea(pics)

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
heres some totally unimportant idea I came up with for the new coil buckets....

my last version was a flat plate, and since I pushed my axle farther foreward, the coil would always be at the funky arch like it was about to sproing-ng-ng out of the jeep, which it never did, so this really wasn't an attempt to fix any problems, just a little detail that only added a few minutes to the task.......the main objective was just to build in a some lift in the buckets, since my new perches are welded almost FLAT on top of the axle tube......
the material is nylon6-6, and the seat follows the pitch of the coil exactly....coil stands flat.....yeah, i know, big deal!

pictures wether you like it or not!

bucket1.JPG

bucket2.JPG

bucket3.JPG

bucket4.JPG

Looks very nice!! Are you going to hold the spring down at the bottom or just let it center itself if it comes un-seated?? I assume it is still held at the top.

Michael

there will be a j-strap at the bottom....and I will figure something else out on top....

I don't want my spring unseating, I want the weight of the axle always hanging on the spring

Beezil said:
the material is nylon6-6, and the seat follows the pitch of the coil exactly....coil stands flat.....yeah, i know, big deal!

looks good but have one question, small concern... By building it to the coil pitch, wouldnt that put a lot of strain on the "2nd" coil where the "bucket" stops?

Tim

IMO that could put an un-natural stress point on the coil instead of displacing it over the entire coil. Maybe tapering it to one coil height would be better? Just a thought... otherwise I like it!

Tim

True. I am just seeing the *high point* on the bucket as a leaverage point on the coil, thats all..

Tim

me too, and the way i figure it, it is not unlike what happens at the very end of the coil on a typical flat perch, on mine the same force is happening 'mid wrap'...i can dig what you are saying, I really like debate and critique! thanks for your comements! don't hesistate to call stuff out.

Great job!

The coil arch always bothers me too, and that is the obvious answer but I couldn't find any on the market. anyway good idea, I'll probably be making some eventually.

Beezil said:
I really like debate and critique! thanks for your comements! don't hesistate to call stuff out.

I think it blows. It's going to change your spring rate, anti-dive and cause death wobble.

Hope this helps

Flowers

Me too I would rather have someone diss my shitty design than do it and find out then it was shitty after all the work! And no I am definatly NOT trying to say your design is bad, just using an example..;) :D

Tim

if I could make a thing like that with any dimensions I want, I would figure out the spring pitch at ride height then make the mount follow that taper for 1/2 a turn then slowly get shallower. that way as the spring gets more comressed it gets more supported.

Beezil,

That is a cool piece of milling!

Nowever these guys are right. When that coil compersses it need to seat down on one another. The rake of the angle needs to change so when compressed it touches all the way around. When at ride heigth it might only touch the ramp part way around.

Again nice milling!

mark
orgs mfg

PS an ACOS would look better on the top!

I was catching that drift right after mad posted.....

worst case senario, all I might have done is affect sprng rate on a micro basis right? kinda like, that first wrap isn't doing all that much for me, except helping the spring stand up straight?

didn't mean for this mod to get anal....kinda just wantd the extra ride hight since I was taking it away from the way the perch was designed.

That is correct spring rate will change just as if you cut off that coil. However I do think it will stress that point in the spring after some use/abuse from you.

Are you going to center the spring over the axle. This is what some buddies out here is messing with right now also. It seems to be working out well, if you are doing that.

mark
orgs mfg

yeah, I did that on the last go-around....having it centered kinda means you can push the axle foreward a bit....but I wanted to go foreward another inch, and there was this misalighnement betweent he upper and lower sides of the coil that put the coil in a funky arch on a flat plate....hence this latest mod......

kinda creating drama where there is none.

Beezil said:
I was catching that drift right after mad posted.....

worst case senario, all I might have done is affect sprng rate on a micro basis right? kinda like, that first wrap isn't doing all that much for me, except helping the spring stand up straight?

didn't mean for this mod to get anal....kinda just wantd the extra ride hight since I was taking it away from the way the perch was designed.

I don't think anyone is trying to "get anal" on you, but if you spent all that time making it, why not at least make it right? It seems like you have plenty of time on your hands, why not just make it so the pitch gets progressively shallower?

even if you leave it, I think it will eventually stress the spring there, but that would probably be in the very distant future, not too much to worry about I would think...

either way, good job, I wish I had the machinery to do stuff like that.

mad, you misunderstood, if theres anyone getting anal, its me!!!!

you guys are all fine, I enjoy the input, good or bad, don't mind much if you though the perches were the stupidest things you've ever seen!

Back