• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evaporator - looks like I'm joining the club

highhilleer

NAXJA Forum User
No ac took my 97 SE to a reputible shop. They put the dye in the system and didn't find any obvious leaks. So they suspect it is the evaporator, which they stated was a common problem with 96+ cherokees. My search of this site seems to confirm this. So far $110 which will include a charge of the system with more dye. The plan is to run the car until the AC stops cooling, then recheck for the leak. They suspect there will be a problem with the evaporator and it will cost ~$900 to repair, which is also inline with the numbers I've found with the search.

I guess I don't have a question, thanks to the search. Just thought I'd share.

If the car wasn't in such good shape, 47K miles and no body rust, I'm not sure I'd spend the $ on the AC, but....

I feel for you. Mine just went out two weeks ago and based on everything I am reading, it most likely is the evap. Mine is a 2000 BTW.

Ouch. I have a '92 with R-12 and it looks like I'm in for a service this year, hope it doesn't cost near that much

I just got a bug up my a$$ so I filed a complaint with ODI
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/
Used a vision problem under the system for defrosting/defogging. Probably nothing will happen but it made me feel bette a bit...

Of couse if a couple hundred file ya never know...

Back