• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problems

RookieJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a cherokee for sale, and he says there is only 4th gear. What could possibly cause this problem? Linkage? Other?

It comes with a spare trans. but the jeep is around 200 miles away.

any ideas?

Thanks, Adam

AW4 with only 4th gear working? That sounds like electrical problem. I believe the AW4 is has electronically controlled shift solenoids. There are only 2 of them for gears and one for TCC.

If its good deal, I'd snatch it up because its probably simple electrical repair if you know how to check for it. Damn, I wish I could buy that locally.

anony91xj said:
That being the case, shouldn't it revert to starting in second?

I don't think so, 4th gear is on when solenoid 1 and 2 is off. To have 2nd gear, u have to have power to solenoid 1 and 2.

Yeah, check the fuse for quick inspection and repair :)

anony91xj said:

Negative. With the TCU off the AW4 is super dumb..

P = PARK
R = REVERSE
N = NEUTRAL
D = 4TH
3 = 3RD
1/2 = 1

So basically you put it into D and it goes straight to fourth.

anony91xj said:

As he stated both solenoids 1 and 2 must have power to have second gear. To do that there must be power. If there's no power then no 2...

JoBo

Test drive it and see if you get 1st gear with the stick in (1) and 3rd with the stick in (3). If you do then it's electrical and probably as simple as a blown fuse. My memory is fuzzy, but I think on some years the backup lights are fed by the same fuse, so a blown fuse would kill the backup lights as well.

If it's electrical, then it's a probably a great deal especially if he's throwing in a spare tranny without realizing it might be a 10-cent fuse. You can probably drive the price down a bit by mentioning all the time involved with doing the tranny swap. Check to see if the spare tranny will work btw. Aside from the spline count, there are some sensor changes in 1997 that limit the years you can interchange.

sorry guys. I don't know why he told me it only has 4th gear. I talked to him again, and he says it does not go into gear at all. You shift it to drive, and the tranny just spins he says. So no gears at all.

Adam

RookieJeeper said:
sorry guys. I don't know why he told me it only has 4th gear. I talked to him again, and he says it does not go into gear at all. You shift it to drive, and the tranny just spins he says. So no gears at all.

Adam

It could be several things. But I'd be prepared to rebuild it or put in new tranny.

Back