• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end question???

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
After I installed my new tires and 3" lift, I noticed that my front axle is not straight. It seems to be shifted to the front on the drivers side and to the rear on the passenger side. It shifted enough to force the passenger side spring to touch the sway bar and the drivers side is about 1.25" away. It drives straight and I adjusted to correct the steering wheel so it is straight. The lift consisted of 3" coils, AAL for the rear and a track bar bracket. I dont know if thes is just an allignment thing or what. Is there an adustment I am not seeing that I can do my self or do I have to pay??????

Thanks for the input.
Dan

You need to get a longer or adjustible trac bar. Your old one is now pulling the axle over to the driver side.
mattk

Actually, it was shifted to the driver side till I installed the track bar bracket. Now it seems to be centered but just not straight. You can visably see it. The bump stop is not centered in the spring on the pass side as well.

It was probably there before you took it apart,it a common comment here!

disconnected the bottom on the right LCA then had a heck of a time getting it back together. It wouldn't be a big deal if the sway bar was away from the spring. It also causes the left tire to rub alot more on the LCA at full turn than the right at full turn.

You should always get an alignment after installing a lift. However, it helps to have the axle centered under the chassis laterally. Park on a known level surface and use a carpenter's level or a string with a weight to measure the tire offset from the flares or fenders on each side. If it is centered, get an alignment. If it is not centered, get an adjustable track bar and THEN have it aligned.

As to the bump stops not being centered in the coils, step off beside the vehicle for a moment and consider geometry. MaXJohnson probably has a neat-o sketch to illustrate this, but I'll have to try it with words.

Stock, the lower control arms are essentially parallel to the ground and the bump stops are centered in the coils. Now .. insert 3" lift. What you have done is to ROTATE the forward ends of the lower control arms down and back enough to raise the chassis 3". The bottoms of the coils sit on a plate that is welded to the axle. That plate has now moved down and back relative to the top of the coils and to the bump stops. Most likely the axle has also rotated so the bottom spring perch is no longer level (horizontal), so the coils are now curved rather than straight.

Make sense? Ready to order those adjustable control arms yet? :D

Not sure if the newer XJ's are the same but I know on my 87 there is a bit of adjustability in the LCA where it mounts to the body. If you don't have them right then it will cause exactly the problem you are having. I suspect that the driver side LCA is farther forward than the pass LCA.

Thanks for all the detailed input. I will be getting back under the XJ and seeing what else I can do. I see the adjustability in the LCA mounts now. This must be how they align it. I also noticed the bushings are worn so I will probably just get the new control arms since I will be that far anyways, then get it aligned.
Thanks again

Dan

Back