• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange popping noise when turning

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem with there cherokee. I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and when ever I turn going slow around a corner, going fast or just stopped and turning the wheel about a quarter turn there is this like deep metal popping noise that comes from the front drivers side tire area. I was wondering if anybody could offer advice on what it could possibly be or how to fix it? Thankx

check the u joint.

riverfever said:
check the u joint.
Yup. Mine did that and then it started sounding really ugly. If you change the u-joints and it doesn't go away completely, start looking at the track bar (both ends--frame and axle) and the ball joints. Mine was the u-joints, but I also have other steering/front suspension issues.

I had a similiar noise but mine was the Tracbar upper mount. If you have someone else steer the wheel back and forth while parked you can probably see it shift. Check the bushing and bolts. Since you never mentioned your specs I might not be right but thats a common issue on the RE lifts.

Ditto, check the tracbar. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you put your hand on the bar or mounting bracket. Of course, be safe. If you are curious, the Tracbar sits parallel to the ground angling up from the drivers side to the passenger's side in front of the axle. The mounting bracket is about 6" in from teh wheel.
BSD

x3 On the track bar, I checked the bracket bolts and 2 of them were loose, also make sure the upper track bar bolt ( the one that bolts onto the bracket) is really tight.

Back