• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan hits fan shroud

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a new fan shroud to drop it into my 1988 XJ with a 4.0 engine, finally found one, Mexico is difficult for some of these parts as the dealer really is a rip-off (130USD against the 30USD I finally paid),

However I was surprised to see it hits some of the blades of the fan, so I couldn't install it properly.

I have a few questions about this.

1. My manual shifter is too much on the left side, (the fan also hits the shroud on the left side). Seems as if the motor mounts were bad/worn, however, I had them checked and I was told they're still OK. Should I change them anyway? Will that solve the problem? If so, would you buy some aftermarket mounts or the stock ones?

2. Only one of two of the blades hit the shroud, they are kind of bent to the front, Is it normal that the blades have different positions?

Regards

Recently bought a new fan shroud from the dealership for $24. What's up with those prices you quoted? I also just replaced both motor mounts and the one near the TC due to engine shift which destroyed my radiator. I went with recomendations to replace all three and I was glad I did since it cleared up my issues. If you are stock, the dealer mounts are high ($50-60) each while aftermarket can be found for $12-22 each. Upon visual inspection ,they looked identical. I also found lots of upgrade mounts for more dollars but they were also stiffer and that stiffness tends to affect the ride. Do a search for your personal needs. Fan blades must all be true and if you have bent ones, replace the fan blade from your local salvage yard. All these repairs are simple to do and instructions can be found by searching. Your statement describing your manual shifter as being too far left is confusing without additional input. Good luck and invest in a FSM.

Well,. the prices I qouted are for Mexico, but it's well known that buying parts from a dealer is the most expensive way, often twice or three times the price it's worth, but if you're smart you always have alternatives. My problem is that the Cherokee is not that common here in Mexico. About the fan blades, I don't think it's the blade that's bent, what causes the different position is the part where it's screwed on, hope you understand.

About the manual shifter, it's like bent to the left side, I was told it often happens due to worn motor mounts, that means, it's not bent, what happens is that the whole transmission is shifted left, and after seeing the trouble I have with the fan shroud, it seems that I should replace motor mounts. I will try to do that ASAP then, 60USD for the three mounts is OK I think, will have to look for good aftermarket ones.

Regards

That's my real doubt. Only one or two hit it, because they seem bent towards the radiator. But it's not really the blades, but the part that holds the blades; I'll post a picture I found on google to illustrate my doubt:

j160502.jpg

I think this blade is from a Grand Cherokee, but it's similar. The different blades seem to be facing differently on my XJ, some are more bent forward (to the radiator) and some more to the back (to the engine). Is that normal? So, the ones that are bent forward hit the left part of the shroud, but as I said, it's only one or two blades that do that. Now, it's not the blade that's bent, it's the thick metal piece that holds the blades, but it doesn't seem salvaged or something, it's quite strange.

Regards

Can't you mail order instead of going through a dealer? Try www.rockauto.com . I paid $9 each for new rubber motor mounts. Shipping was $18 for the pair though. Here's a coupon for Rock Auto.

========================================
5% discount good thru June 13, 2006

* If you are using our Java Catalog, enter your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart
* If you are using our non-Java Catalog, enter your the discount code in the "Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount"

Back