• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did I break?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheeling an I must've hit something.

The steering wheel is pitched towards the right now about an 8th to a quarter of the way, before it used to sit almost perfect. It doesn't pull to either direction unless I try to 'level' out the wheel, then it turns right.

I got up underneath and looked and couldn't see anything broken or bent. I had a 6 cyl ZJ next to it for a comparison and really couldn't see anything bent/broken. I looked at the wheels and the right wheel looks like it's pitched out a little bit more than the other tire...Did I break a tie-rod or just knock it out of alignment?

you didnt break a tie-rod. you probably bent your tie-rod.look closer. the tube that runs all the way across your front axle, and is lowest, probably has a kink in it somewhere.

I will take a closer look in the daylight but everything on my XJ looks the same as it did on the ZJ, we couldn't find any bends...So is this fixable or do I need to get a new tie-rod?

I had a similar situation after a slow speed slide on ice into a curb. The XJ tracked perfectly straight but the steering wheel was off about the same as you described. Nothing appeared bent or broken. After I got the tires pointed straight on my driveway, I adjusted the tie rod at the pitman arm ,with the ign. key in the unlocked position, and my son watching the steering wheel. When the steering wheel was level we tightened up the tie rod and it has been driving fine for two years now. However,I still don't know what actually moved in that little run-in with the curb... Been through two inspections now and everything is good save for a little road rash on the rim:(

scca28 said:
I had a similar situation after a slow speed slide on ice into a curb. The XJ tracked perfectly straight but the steering wheel was off about the same as you described. Nothing appeared bent or broken. After I got the tires pointed straight on my driveway, I adjusted the tie rod at the pitman arm ,with the ign. key in the unlocked position, and my son watching the steering wheel. When the steering wheel was level we tightened up the tie rod and it has been driving fine for two years now. However,I still don't know what actually moved in that little run-in with the curb... Been through two inspections now and everything is good save for a little road rash on the rim:(
Have you noticed any increased tire wear?

I doubt it's bent if you have more toe-out. Probably just whacked it enough to knock it out of alignment. Go get a front end alignment or google and see how to adjust toe-in yourself

One often overlooked area is the drag link adjustment collar. This is the one that "fine tunes" the relative position of your steering wheel, in relationship to your front wheels.

What may have happened is that this adjustment collar may have "slipped" when you bumped your steering while wheeling. Though unlikely, this collar could be the weakest link in your steering that could have "moved", barring any bent steering componets. Seems like you've already ruled bent things out...

To test, have your front wheels pointed straight forward, regardless of the position of your steering wheel. Now, check your pitman arm postion. If it's pointing in the direction as it should be, relative to the straight forward position of your front wheels; then loosen the bolts on the drag link adustment collar and turn the collar with some channel locks until your steering wheel is in the correct position. You may have to drive this a couple of times and test the steering wheel position, until you dial in the steering wheel to where your want it.

I was messing with it again today, I can grab the drag link and rotate it forward andbackward, also on dry pavement with the wheels forward if I turn the wheels right there is a loud thunk.

I looked at another XJ a ZJ and a TJ, no play on the drag-link like what I described...

I often have to redo my alignment after some hard wheelin. Nothing ever breaks, it just readjusts itself. Pretty simple to do your own alignments really.

Back