• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-setting check engine light

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Got an 01 Classic, 41350 miles. The prior owner said it started to mis-fire, then the check engine light came on.

Turns out he had a dead spark plug, he replaced them all, good as new.

The check engine light stayed on however, is there a simple way to reset it with out going to the dealer?

If you want to do a easy, but not complete solution, you can try unplugging the negative terminal of the battery for about half an hour. This should reset everything and turn the light off, however, I believe the code will still be saved on the computers memory, which can only be erased with an OBD-II scanner. If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a while, you might want to invest in a scanner of your own. The pretty decent ones have gotten much much cheaper over time.

I think I feel the OBD-II force puling me to the dark side...... anyone know would be a good price for a OBD-II, if I were to fall into the dark side?

langer1 said:
OBD-II scanners that you can afford are (read only) and will not reset anything.
Not true.

Even the cheapie that Harbor Freight always has on sale for $39 clears the codes.

Got the cheapie from walmart, reads and clears codes. If thats not an option pull a battery terminal and turn the key like your trying to turn the engine for 10-30 seconds to drain the internal capacitors. Clears the code every time ive done it, and faster than waiting for system discharge to happen naturally.

If the problem was fixed, the light should turn itself off in 50-100 drive cycles (about 3-6 weeks). Read the codes and make sure it is in fact a misfire code and make sure the previous owner actually did fix the problem before just erasing the codes.

Yes, disconnecting the battery will erase the codes. It will also reset all the clocks, radio stations, etc though.

Three keystrokes to "on" with the ignition switch. Codes read in the (electronic) odometer readout, right? Then disconnect the battery for a while to clear codes. Works for me. Then, of course, you repair your car so it doesn't come back on.

Had a check engine light on for 7 years on my '97, everything was OK, but it turned out to be a bad gas cap. Go figger!

Paul

Back