• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless Entry ??

motroutmo

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my 98 XJ and it has Power Locks (not working right now but that's another thread). It didn't come with any FOBs but the guy I bought it from was not the original owner.

How can I tell if it has Keyless Entry?

Thanks in advance.

mo

An easy way would be to remove the overhead light cluster (pop off lens, remove two screws, and slide entire assembly a few inches forward, and down). If you have a small green circuit board inside that housing that is about 2" x 4" with a small black 10-pin connnector, then you have the Keyless Entry. That is the receiver board.

I just installed a Full Overhead Console in my 2000 Sport that was donated from a wrecked 2001 Limited.

Well one question is do you have a dome light or an overhead console? Either one you could unscrew it and look inside and see if there is a keyless entry board. If you do than most likely you do have it. Here is a pic of what it looks like in a dome light. Overhead console have it mounted towards the rear of the console.
Alex

XJDomeLightWithKeylessEntry.jpg

Just be careful after you remove the screws. Study the picture...See the little white buttons on either side of the board? Don't pull straight down on the housing, slide it forward a little bit first. I broke mine, not knowing, but since I was swapping in a full console, it didn't matter.

Even if your Jeep doesn't have the keyless circuit board in the overhead light, all you'd need to do is add one from a Jeep that does have it along with the wiring and your all set to go.
(The Jeep's computer is already setup to accept it; ex: horn chirp, dome light on when keyless unlock, panic)

If you do find out if you have remote door lock capability, you can always find a fob on Ebay. Since you mention this being a 98, make sure the fob you buy has the following part number on the back - 56008968. This one for sure works on the 97 & 98's, but you'll have to have the dealer program it for you. It requires a dealer DRB tool to program the reciever to match your fob....

The easiest way to tell is to call your local Jeep dealer and give them the VIN. They'll tell you in about 5 seconds whether or not it has keyless. New FOB is around $80 plus a $15 fee to access the code from Chrysler and program it. Go ahead and get a spare key at the same time (I think it was around $40) and you won't get charged twice for the programming fee. New FOB, key, and programming cost me about $140, IIRC. I didn't want to take a chance on a FOB from eBay so I went ahead and got a new one.

djwright4341 said:
The easiest way to tell is to call your local Jeep dealer and give them the VIN. They'll tell you in about 5 seconds whether or not it has keyless. New FOB is around $80 plus a $15 fee to access the code from Chrysler and program it. Go ahead and get a spare key at the same time (I think it was around $40) and you won't get charged twice for the programming fee. New FOB, key, and programming cost me about $140, IIRC. I didn't want to take a chance on a FOB from eBay so I went ahead and got a new one.
My new fob cost me under $30 new from the dealership and they included programming for free. The part number Ivan provided IS the correct number for the 97-98 keyless entry fob. A spare ignition key will cost you less than $5 for a 97-98 key.

OK. I pulled the dome light and I DO HAVE KEYLESS ENTRY !! Now for the fun part:
I pulled the circuit board to inspect it and found that about 3 or 4 of the circuit traces are corroded completely off the board so it is shot. And get this - when I disconnected the board from the wiring harness, the doors fired and locked! On another thread I am trying to find out why my door locks don't fire.

SO... does anyone know where I can find a replacement circuit board or the whole dome unit for a 98 ? I think I'M getting closer to the gremlins and they are startin' to run!

I just sold a 1999 XJ keyless board, but you can try ebay. I have seen them there. Otherwise you can try a junkyard or the dealership. You can call them and get a part number and see how much it is there. With a part number you might find it cheaper on the internet too. Such as "moparpartz.com"
Alex

Does anyone know what the part number for the keyless entry board in the dome light is? I would rahter buy a new one that is working than take my chances with a used one that comes with gremlins.....

Thanks!

I tried to locate one in the parts catalog. Otherwise I would have posted one. You can ask a dealership and see if they can give one to you. If you do not have any luck. Send me a message and I can talk to my friend that works at the parts department at my local dealership.
Alex

I just pulled a board out of a full console (97-98 I think based on the shade of grey). I have that board available as well as the dome from my 2k XJ... Name a fair price and they are yours + shipping from 92108.

George T.

motroutmo said:
OK. I pulled the dome light and I DO HAVE KEYLESS ENTRY !! Now for the fun part:
I pulled the circuit board to inspect it and found that about 3 or 4 of the circuit traces are corroded completely off the board so it is shot. And get this - when I disconnected the board from the wiring harness, the doors fired and locked! On another thread I am trying to find out why my door locks don't fire.

SO... does anyone know where I can find a replacement circuit board or the whole dome unit for a 98 ? I think I'M getting closer to the gremlins and they are startin' to run!

gptrilik - that sounds great. The number printed on the bottom of my circuit board is 614210. Does that match one of yours or do you know if it compatible with one you have? I am most interested in the 2k since it is newer. You wouldn't have the key fobs that go with it would ya? Thanks again!

I will check it out next time in the garage.. Should have an answer for you tomorrow. I do have my original fobs but I am going to keep them. I am using an aftermarket alarm now but the fobs still work for me.

I will let you know.

George T.

motroutmo said:
gptrilik - that sounds great. The number printed on the bottom of my circuit board is 614210. Does that match one of yours or do you know if it compatible with one you have? I am most interested in the 2k since it is newer. You wouldn't have the key fobs that go with it would ya? Thanks again!

Back