• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97-'01 Tire Carrier?

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Following on from this thread, is anyone aware of a factory tire carrier for '97 to '01 XJs? I've never seen one, so am wondering if either a) it was the least popular accessory made, or b) didn't exist.

If it did, can someone please provide part numbers for it? I'd also be interested to hear if it's up to the job of holding a 31" tire.

I don't think they offered one for the new body style.

The '97-'99 parts catalogue shows a left-rear taillight wiring harness that's special specifically for the '98 model year "w/Export Equipment Package & Outside Mounted Tire Carrier, 1998 XJ." It doesn't give a part number for the tire carrier, though. Maybe GoJeep can be of some help here.

Eagle: yeah, I have to say that I think you're right. I kinda remember seeing one in a catalogue, but don't know how much I can trust that memory.

Timber said:
The '97-'99 parts catalogue shows a left-rear taillight wiring harness that's special specifically for the '98 model year "w/Export Equipment Package & Outside Mounted Tire Carrier, 1998 XJ." It doesn't give a part number for the tire carrier, though. Maybe GoJeep can be of some help here.

Interesting - I wonder if this what I'm remembering. I'd love to hear from him (or anyone in the UK) who might be able to shed some light on this, particularly if they can give part numbers :D

IH8RDS said:
I think its part number 6

Nah, 42. The secret is to bang the rocks together ;)

casm said:
Following on from this thread, is anyone aware of a factory tire carrier for '97 to '01 XJs? I've never seen one, so am wondering if either a) it was the least popular accessory made, or b) didn't exist.

If it did, can someone please provide part numbers for it? I'd also be interested to hear if it's up to the job of holding a 31" tire.
I might be wrong but I seem to remember reading something about European version of the 97+ having that funky carrier that you could see in the mid 90's tire carrier model where it bolted to the bumper only.

I believe the roof mounted tire carrier was the only external mounting option for 97+ in North America.

This out of 2001 Accessory Catalog. I checked and any of the Trademotion powered parts dealers don't show it.

TIRE CARRIER, ROOF-MOUNT
MOPAR FEATURES
• Specifically designed for Cherokee
• A convenient way to store the spare tire outside of the
passenger compartment
• Cherokee carrier mounts to the OE Roof Rack
• E-coated steel construction, tubular style appearance
• Mopar Accessories are covered by either the 3-year/
36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty, or the 12-month/
12,000-mile Mopar Basic Limited Warranty, whichever is
more favorable to the customer
COMPETITORS?*
• Does the warranty compare?
*Check your market for your competitive situation.
Shown on Cherokee
Sugg
Part Instl Retail
Vehicle Line MYO MYI Application Remarks Number Time Group Price
SPARE TIRE CARRIERS
Cherokee 2001 1991 11000 Mounts to OE Roof Rack, accommodates all spare tire sizes 82203257 0.4 T $157.00

Yea, I remember the roof mounted one, they were like $130 or so IIRC. I also remember reading that the rear mounted carrier was no longer offered because the steel on the rear quarter panel would no longer support it...I'm remembering this from way back on the real old board we had...

Sorry for the late response. I have never seen an external tire carrier on a UK 1997-2001 XJ with the stock bumper, that doesn't mean that there never was one. 1933-1996 XJ's were commonly fitted with the bumper mounted carriers.

In 1998 my local Jeep dealer lent me a 2.5L diesel ZJ Laredo for a couple of weeks which had an external tire carrier. It very well built and used the stock bumper. It may have been a Mopar part. I can't say that I have seen another ZJ over here that had one since so maybe Mopar did produce a carrier but dropped them early on due to poor sales. Lots of XJ's here had nasty skinny spare tires from 1997+, I think a full size spare was an option.

Back