• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV Halfshafts in an XJ?

kootenaycat

NAXJA Forum User
I just got back from a 3 hour drive to pick up some diffs with 3.73 gears for my XJ. After getting there I was surprised to see CV joint type half shafts on the D30 front end. It is an '85 with a 2.8l and 3.73's (supposedly).

So to help in my future search for some complete diffs with 3.73 or 4.10's, what years/drivetrains config did XJ's have the CV axles?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Yes, I know the feeling, I have the CV joints on my '86 XJ. Did the D30 have a disconnect, mine does not. I did some research on this axle type and it is considered a standard duty shaft, and from what I have read I could appear on 84-86 XJ's. You may have to ask if the axles have U-joints or CV joint before your next parts hunting adventure.

jwalkman

The CVs were used in 84 thru 86. I thought it was only with the Selec-Trac option, but those shouldn't have the disconnect axle. Might have been with any automatic?

I have an 86 parts heap, 2.8L Selectrac, that has them. 86 4-cyl 5-speed has conventional u-joints.

it doesn't matter if it has CVs or a standard Ujoint they are interchangeable.its just a differnt style joint you can install one on the other and vise versa as far as i know.

Wil Badger said:
it doesn't matter if it has CVs or a standard Ujoint they are interchangeable.its just a differnt style joint you can install one on the other and vise versa as far as i know.

Talked to a Chrysler tech who said they aren't interchangeable. I don't know why not, maybe the disco mechanism splines are different. I would guess the side gear splines are all the same disco/non CV/u-joint.

if its a non disco axle then you can install the one piece shafts from a later model.if its a disco then you would have to find the two piece shafts.i could have sworn i heard they are interchangeable as long as you use the correct shafts in the correct housing.i have serious doubts they would be using a different carrier and hub on those units.

THEY are interchangeable , as i have done that exact swap on my 84 , got axles out of 87 model with disco swapped out axle and hubs as a unit , works fine .

I work at a jeep dealership 90% of our tech's would not even know that some xj's came with cv axles, 5 % weren't born yet, and the last 5% can fix anything.:repair:

The trick is to find a Jeep dealership that's a JEEP dealership, rather than a Chrysler or Dodge dealer who was forced to sell some Jeeps on the side. I am fortunate -- the dealership I go to not only was a Jeep dealership going back to even before Chrysler bought Jeep from AMC, the techs all know and love (and mostly drive) Jeeps. And the parts guys know Jeep parts six ways from Sunday.

vette75406 said:
THEY are interchangeable , as i have done that exact swap on my 84 , got axles out of 87 model with disco swapped out axle and hubs as a unit , works fine .

Thanks for the tip, will know next time I am trying to make deal.

Found some other axles I will by buying, D35 4.10's lockrite, D30 case/gears which I will install in my existing housing. More money, but a good deal considering it's got the rear locker.

Timber said:
Don't rely on Chrysler techs. Most of them think an AW4 takes ATF.

I hope you ment to say:

Most of them think an AW4 takes ATF+3.

--Matt

Back