• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's Going To LCIR???

Loose_Nuts_Enterprises

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just wondering who's planning on showing up this weekend at Los Coyotes. We'll be heading out Friday AM and coming back Sunday afternoon.

Hope to see you guys there.

Dan

I can't. I HAVE to go to the Sierras! :D

Tim.... where's those pictures????? :D

I wish I had time to go to LCIR... I think that I have been there once... loooooong time ago and I wanna go again. But.... the varnish on my floor awaits me.

Kejtar

I'm there! 10am at the gate, right? I know where Warner Springs is but I have no idea where the Reservation where you want to meet is. If you have instructions, I would appreciate them.

I will probably be coming back on Friday night though, as I live right down the hill.

Unless you guys are planning on camping out on the trail somewhere - in which case, I am screwed...

Let me know whats up!

Josh

Take hwy 79 to warner springs, head east on Camino San Ignacio. Stay on this road all the way to LCIR campground. Camino San Ignacio is about 15 miles of small winding road. We're supposedly leaving Yucaipa around 7:00am Friday. That will put us down there around 9 or 10am. We're planning to be in the upper campground. Look for Loose Nuts Enterprises stickers on the vehicles. We'll probably spend a while setting up camp before we get to wheeling. Looking forward to meeting you. If for any reason you need to call my cell number is 909-855-1017. (provided we have cell service out there.)

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. I will be up there by 10am.

This is going to be my first "real" run. Anything specific I should bring? I have recovery points front and rear and a towstrap. I will bring a small 12v aircompressor and basic handtools. Anything else?

How many XJ's are you guys expecting?

Can't wait!

Josh

That sound adequate, most of us are pretty well equipped. We'll be able to help you out if you need anything else. As far as real runs go, we have a lot more fun than your typical organized runs.

So far, just you and me in the XJ's. I have a couple of buddies that have XJ's that might come.

Where are you coming from?

Dan

I am coming up from Poway. It is pretty much right down the hill from Warner Springs, maybe 40 minutes from there.

There is a guy down the street from me who went to LC last wekk. His XJ was covered with mud and scratches.

Should be a blast!

Josh

My Dad, a buddy of mine and myself arrived at Los Coyotes at 9:45 am today, and we were the first to arrive. After paying the $15 entrance fee we tooled around on the main roads, checking out the area until everyone else arrived.

We met up with all the Turners and their various affiliates around 11am at the main campground. I soon learned that I had by far the smallest Jeep there. Every Jeep there was better equipped than mine, but it ended up not mattering as everyone went out of their way to lend the newb (myself) a hand. Dan and I were the only people with XJ's.

While they were settting up camp, we drove up "Ridge Road" to "Fire Hill". "Ridge Road" is a really steep and rutted fire road that winds up a couple of hills before dropping into a valley. The view from the top of the hills was great, as we were able to see Lake Henshaw and pretty much all of Los Coyotes from up there. "Fire Hill" was just a rutted overgrown road that was pretty boring.

After we got back to the camp, everyone left to go out on "Rough Road". The first obstacle that we came across was "Left Turn Hill". Everyone made it look easy until I got past the left turn and then promptly got stuck. After having my Jeep teeter-totter back and forth on two wheels a couple of times it took alot of spotting from Dan and Dennis and several attempts before I made it up to the top. Definitely not something I would want to try alone.

After that obstacle we headed to "Jeep Squeeze". I ended up taking the bypass here after watching Dan go down the steep hill. I will give it a shot when I have some decent skids and rocker protection.

"Jeep Squeeze" begins with a steep descent. At the bottom you will find a large ledge that Dan had no trouble with in the longer wheelbase XJ, but a couple of the smaller Jeeps had to make a few attempts to get over the 4+ foot high ledge (see pictures at my Webshots page).

After "Jeep Squeeze" we somehow ended up on "Dangerous Road". It did not seem too dangerous until I realized that the trail just turned to rocks, stumps and one flattened car. Again, with excellent spotting from the others, I was able to make it down the trail without any damage to my Jeep. Rocker skids are definitely next on my list of must-do items.

Anyways, I finally got to pop the cherry on my new Jeep and lift, and I was really glad that I was around people who knew what the heck they were doing - as I had no clue. Thanks again for a great time guys!

The pictures are not that great, I was too busy driving and my Dad and Buddy were too busy watching everything to take alot of pictures. I will just bring a camcorder next time...

Josh H

http://community.webshots.com/user/twcguy2

Thanks Josh, glad you could make it. I had heard quite a few horror stories of this place, especially Bronco Hill, El Hill, and toboggan. My trusty XJ made it up and down these with no problems. I may need to put a small patch in the bottom of my seat if you know what I mean. Pretty good pucker factor. I'm going to have to delete the Bigbear pics on my photo host so I can put pics of this weekend.

Definitely have to do this one again.

Dan

Back