• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fixing a leak on the AX15

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I definately narrowed down the leak and it bugs me.... when you look at the ax 15 on the bottom, where that plate is that goes over the bottom (not part of the tranny) it seems to be leaking someplace in the area between the two bolts (actually I'm guessing it might be leaking through the bolt hole ??). Short of putting JB Weld on the bottom as someone has suggested, what are my other options? has anyone experienced a similar leak before? I lost 4 ounces in about a month which is kind of irritating as that AX15 gear oil aint cheap :( and as leaks go, they only get worse, not better...

Kejtar

Could it be leaking at the intermediate plate and seeping to that location?

well I'm not sure what the intermediate plate is but at the bottom of the tranny when I look at the two bolts, the leak seems to be isolated in that area. I tried cleaning that to get a better look, but it seemed futile.... Any suggestions what cleaner (engine degreaser maybe?) I should use on it? Maybe then after cleaning it off and driving a bit I'll be able to make a better determination.

Kejtar

I think that was me-

I did the JB Weld thing cause mine was leaking exactly where you say your's is. Now, 15k miles later and some fairly hard 4 wheeling and difficult climbs to 14,000 ft and is still totally leak free. I know that sounds like real rigging, and i am not good at that, but it dang sure looks like it worked. Several times i cleaned the area, even removing the x-member and mount and cleaned everything. Looked to me to be leaking at the case seam right at the bottom. My leak had not gotten that bad yet that i could tell, but was enough to spill over onto the exh pipe and could smell it burning. I was going to try anything to keep from having to pull the trans and split the case just for resealing that seam!! Knock wood, but so far so good.

Ghost... nope it's the bottom piece just like Judd's....

Judd (or anyone else), what are the potential repercussions for the future when I will end up having to split the tranny? (rebuilds or whatever) Do you think that it will crack open and clean of nicely? Also what did you use to clean the area off before jbweld? and how thich of a layer did you do?

Kejtar

I used a combination of 'ole carb cleaner finishing up with brake cleaner. I roughed up the entire flat bottom lip and just up the corners with 40 grit paper. Scribed the seam to get stuff out of that too. Of course had to drop the crossmember and mount to gain good access. Frankly am still surprised it worked, but whatever!! In the future i am sure there will not be any problem when time to honestly fix the problem. It will crack off of there if hit. I just used ~ 1/8th layer of the stuff. After the heck i have put that '98 through lately i am surprised to see a totally leak free undercarriage!! (knock wood) I had also put a wrench on the trans bolts too before the JB and did not seem to make any diff.

Ok if it is leaking at the seam it is the seal between the intermediate plate and the two case halves. I believe most tranny people use RVT there but it seems to me I have seen a listing for a seal part number some where before. Good luck. Oh by the way if memory serves me correctly the intermediate plate is aluminum.

Another potential source of the leak would be the rear ouput seal of your tranny. The AX-15 is not sealed at the back, instead it has a seal that rides on the input of the t-case. So if you were to take the t-case off and tip the tranny up all the fluid would drain out. At the bottom where the tranny bolts to the t-case there is a small weeper hole that allows any tranny fluid that passes the output seal to weep out. If your seal is bad or if the input of your t-case is badly scoured then this could cause your problem as well.

Re: I think that was me-

I just put in a used AX-15 and its leaking like crazy from the center split did any of you find a good solution. How’s that JB holdin up?

Bronco said:
I just put in a used AX-15 and its leaking like crazy from the center split did any of you find a good solution. How’s that JB holdin up?

Well it turned out that I was leaking from the rear output seal and it went out the weephole and migrated itself in such a manner that it looked like the center piece... anyways.. I removed the jb weld when I fixed the rear output seal and not even a drop :D

I’m fairly sure my leak is coming from the case split. I had the mounting plate off and I would wipe it all down and the drops would form on both sides of the split, but it would be simple to replace the rear seal so maybe I’ll try it.
Any other ideas?

Bronco said:
I’m fairly sure my leak is coming from the case split. I had the mounting plate off and I would wipe it all down and the drops would form on both sides of the split, but it would be simple to replace the rear seal so maybe I’ll try it.
Any other ideas?

befoure you do the rear tranny seal look for that weep hole (it's on the passenger side on the surface facing back... hard to describe it otherwise) and then stick like a qtip in side and feel around for oil :D
Btw, I didn't mean to suggest that your leak is rear seal, I just said that mine was and that's how it fooled me LOL

Cool thanks for the help, I guess I want it to be the weep hole that would save me a big PITA

Hey Guys. Been a long time. The derned JB Weld has still totally stopped that pesky leak in the case seam located at the base of the trans. This after some fairly hard flogging out in Utah this past year.....Moab and everything. Looked at it specifically when on a lift removing the rear swaybar and performing a service just last week. With almost 100k on the clock all is still as dry as a popcorn fart under the entire vechicle!! Love it when that happens!!

Back