• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumpstops......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I have none. I'm at about 6-6.5" lift in the rear. Any recomendation on what height to get and who makes good ones?

I also have non, my plan is to make a plate that will bolt on top of the spring pack to hit the bump stop. It may need to be braced back to the spring on an angle or have a suport going down to the axle, but should be perfect length, and not have any iterferance issuses.

UM?? bump stops in the rear y? i don't have them never bottomed out my jeep?? u REALLY do not need them!! don't waste ur money!

stoney

Stoney said:
UM?? bump stops in the rear y? i don't have them never bottomed out my jeep?? u REALLY do not need them!! don't waste ur money!

stoney

bumpstops will help your flex if measured right. just think of it as a pivot point for the axle. when one end of the axle goes up and hits the bumpstop, it will force the other side of the axle down.

Plus your springs will last longer if your over-compressing.

Well I do need them b/c I got serios rub on compresion with my 33's. I saw some 1" extended ones some where but I thinkI need more.

o well ur problem isn't bumpstops it is ur backspacing!just go get some les swab wheel! 3 3/4 backspaced and u will not need those bumpstops!

stoney

Rusty's has 4" poly ones for 27 bucks (for both). I got them and they look exactly the same as daystars (they probably are). If you need more bumpstoppage, use some square tubing between the stop and the "frame".

Jeep sells factory bumpstops in 3 or 4 different lengths with the longest ones being about twice the height of the stock XJ bumpstops. The long ones can be found on junkyard MJ's.

I bought some new ones at the dealer and don't think they were as much as the poly ones, but don't remember for sure.

I have my stock Up-Country bumpstops hitting a piece of 1/2 inch x 2 inch plate welded to the top of the spring retaining plate. Just right for cut fenders and 33's. The Up-Country stops are about twice as long as the standard ones.
Mattk

Stoney said:

stoney

Not true. He does need them, and so do you.

The bump stops do two things. First, they prevent the tires from rubbing the fender well liners. Second, if sized properly, they prevent the springs from compressing too far. This saves bent springs, and helps keep the springs alive a lot longer. A lot of the complaints we see on this forum about springs that sagged in no time at all are the result of over-flexing the springs.

As noted, there are four sizes available from the factory. The dealer's parts catalog will not know which one belongs in which vehicle, but it should list them by height. The tallest is the one that was used in the 2000 Up Country. I have a set in my '88 stock (non- UpCountry), and with no lift I have about 1.5" to 2" clear between the axle tube and the bump stop. This may help explain why at 238,000+ miles my rear springs haven't sagged -- at all. I know I sometimes hit the bump stops, but my springs can't over-compress.

All four sizes are also available through Crown. If you have access to a Crown dealer, their stuff is usually about half the cost of factory and usually just as good.

Well there is no doubt I need them that I knew. What I did not know was that there are three different sizes. So unless someone on here has some to give away. :) I'll be either going to the U-pull it soon or checking the other options.

I recommend against going u-pull for these. Here in the rust belt it's unusual to see an XJ more than a couple of years old that still has rear bump stops. The mounting plates rust away very quickly. I know you're from the south and you don't have much snow and road salt to deal with, but you have rain and mud. For what you save going used, I think it would be a shame to buy 'em and put 'em in just to find they disappeared a few months later.

Besides, unless you find a late model with Up Country, you won't find the tall ones in a bone yard.

Ok, I'll look into some new ones then.

I run Off Road General Store bump stops in the rear. About 4 years old now. They come with a piece of bar stock to weld to the u-bolt plate. I haven't ever done it but I have flexed it out that far before the 33". You do need them. Juice

I made my own...

Tied them to the u-bolt plates...

rbump2.jpg

My springs have NOT sagged at all...

I'm thinking about making these for like $20 a set with a core charge... Email me if you're interested....

MaXJohnson said:
Jeep sells factory bumpstops in 3 or 4 different lengths with the longest ones being about twice the height of the stock XJ bumpstops. The long ones can be found on junkyard MJ's.

I bought some new ones at the dealer and don't think they were as much as the poly ones, but don't remember for sure.

Junk yard MJs? Didnt know those even exist, have a hard enough time finding XJs ehre much less an MJ.

I just bought some square tubing that comes prdrilled, I will be using it to make a spacer for the factory rear bump stop. Bolt it to the original location, bolt the bump stop to it...done.

XJguy

MaXJohnson said:
I measured once, 86 longbed IIRC, and the rear bumpstops were the same length as the ones on my XJ (not very long). So not all MJ's have longer bumpstops.

And even out here in Colorado (what's rust ;) ) I've seen plenty of XJ's and MJ's where the rear bumpstops had rusted off. Sometimes I see it where the rubber just flaked off in layers, no idea why.

My original bumpstops rusted off... I scored some factory ones... when there, for 95's, they offered both 3" and 4" bumpstops.. I scored the 4" ones...

Back