• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep thing??

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
my friends jeep is acting weird? he presses the gas and the motor sounds like it is rvening up but he has major power loss? also sometimes it spuders when he hits the gas?? could this b a TPS? i need someones help this really sux!

stoney

just read your sig.
Well i used to have all my HARDCORE modifactions listed here but people kept laughing at me ! so now i jsut have this!!!
just

your spelling is almost as bad as mine.

sorry it is a crappy 89 xj!
it started out with power loss between 2 and 4 grand(rpm) but now it is jsut alll the time!

might b a converter will check that! thanx

stoney

I just had to replace my TPS. When it goes bad, the motor will react normal for a sec or two, then the rev's will drop regardless of your pedal position. It feels like sputtering, I guess. But if the rev's are climbing and there is still power loss, it sounds like tranny slippage. Bad news.

how hard was it to replace the tps?

piece of cake. I do suggest getting one from a jeep dealer. And you need some star sockets. All it is is 2 screws and a tube that eaasily connects.

how much was the tps from the dealer?
i found it at autozone for $29.99.

Mine did something similar to this. It some times would do the revving think and vibrate like heck but not move much and other times would just sputter at 2000-2500 rpm. I ended up changing the O2 senser and all is well now.

i changed my o2 sensor and it still acting up.

its my jeep stoney was talking about. i tried running it without the cat and it was still bad. i tried reconecting all my vacume lines, that helped alittle but its still to bad to drive.

Legacy said:
how much was the tps from the dealer?
i found it at autozone for $29.99.
STAY FAR AWAY FROM IT!!!!! Autozone is a bunch of frikin jackasses. I was so happy to hear it was only $30, I bought it. When I got it home, it was completely the wrong fit and part. Not even close. I took it back hoping it was just a mix up, but no. It was the part they have in their computers. I told them it was wrong, and they just said thanks. It costs about $80 from Jeep. Dont bother with anyone else. I looked around and some were asking over $100 for it. The Jeep piece is perfect. If you're not sure where it is, look next to the throttle body, just under where the rubber air intake hose connects. A small tube plugs into the bottom and two small star screws hold it in from the top. I also replaced my MAP sensor. I think my problem was a combination of the two. Good luck. PM me if you have any qestions.

Back