• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade cowl hood

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on making my own cowl hood for my xj using steel cowls that are available from places like summit or speedway. I have seen this done to an early chevy truck before but I did not see the actual fabbing of it. Any advice? I was thinking just chop the cowl to fit,cut out stock hood, fit, weld in, clean up, brace up. ??

GoliathJeeper said:
I am planning on making my own cowl hood for my xj using steel cowls that are available from places like summit or speedway. I have seen this done to an early chevy truck before but I did not see the actual fabbing of it. Any advice? I was thinking just chop the cowl to fit,cut out stock hood, fit, weld in, clean up, brace up. ??
thats about it, remember to keep as much origional bracing as you can. have fun and good luck:)

steagall9301 said:
thats about it, remember to keep as much origional bracing as you can. have fun and good luck:)

Yeah all that and post pics of your progress.

Dingo

Sounds good then. I am ordering the cowl monday. I'll be working on it after school so it may take awhile but I will put up pics. It shouldnt hurt to drive it without a hood for a week or two should it? I keep it parked under a shed at night. Also, does anyone have any pics of a cowl hood they bought for their XJ? I would like to see how the air routes out the back so I can get as much venting as possible.

i just cut and folded my hood for maximum venting and clearance
DSCN0256.jpg

really simple and works really well
DSCN0280.jpg

much has changed since that pic but the hood is still cut and working well and the whole thing took about 1.5 hours from cut to spot paint

Last edited:
I may go that route. Now that I see it it shouldnt be that hard. Actually maybe a lot easier than putting in a new cowl. Plus I can keep original lines. But I may change it up a bit. Did you add sides to that or just left it open? Also, what is that you are using for support?

GoliathJeeper said:
I may go that route. Now that I see it it shouldnt be that hard. Actually maybe a lot e`sier,than putting in a new cowl. Plus I can keep original lines. But I may change it up a bit. Did you add sides to that or just left it open? Also, what is that you are using for support?
i used some small pieces of scrap i had laying around, i just cut it to fit and spot welded it øn. i kept the sides open, i was going to put some perferated sheet metal there but since it is `%trailer queen and it is in the garage the rest of the time i decided not to ( besides, i anit that good at body work ) mnd the0jeat just rolls out of there.

never thought about doing it like that good job. thought about some metal mesh type screen to keep big stuff out but still let good air flow through.

steagall9301 said:
i just cut and folded my hood for maximum venting and clearance
DSCN0256.jpg

really simple and works really well

My guess is you're not fording any water or running any bogs or serious mud with that hood,...right?

I mean maybe if you sealed it and had a vacuum solenoid controlled vent that opened at the rear--like the old Chevy Cold Air Induction hoods, BUT you had a switch that could override it prior to water entry.

Not to mention if I left that truck sit for more than two days at my house a bunch of hornets would setup residence in there.

DJ

Back