• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need some used parts

G

One of my employees is looking for a trac lock for a dana 35 out of a 91 xj and also a dana 44 trac lock out of an 84 xj.

Anybody help this guy out.

Brian Moyer
County Chrysler Jeep
800-975-9464

Brian --

If anyone has a used Trac-Lok that old, it would probably have been removed because it wore out. They can be rebuilt, but the guy who owns Drive Train Direct told me years ago that the rebuilds don't usually last as long as a new unit. For a Dana 35, the rebuild kit costs about $65 and the new unit is about $225. For the difference in price, I'd prefer to have the new unit that's ready to drop in and will (hopefully) last longer.

Is your employee certain the '84 has a Dana 44? I didn't think they started using the D44 until model year 1987. I know for a fact that the heavy duty axle in the '86 MJ was an AMC Model 20. There is no mention of a Dana 44 heavy duty axle in the '86 factory service manual.

I'd suggest your guy call Drive Train Direct. I no longer have the phone number, but they're on the Internet at www.drivetraindirect.com. He can probably buy new units from them for less than what DaimstoreChrysler charges your parts department.

Eagle
You are correct i typo'd wrong on the year of d44. I am a D.T.D Dealer but the guy was looking for used first fit's more into his budget.
Thanks
Brian

Maybe try Rodney's in York? He's been in business so long he probably has parts out of wrecks that were wrecked years ago and thus parts like a true trac might be still usable? 717-764-3120 Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Brian --

With my "fleet" and being out of work I apprciate the budget issue -- but I honestly think your guy is being penny wise and pound foolish to think of putting a USED trac-lok into his Jeep. At the very least he should be looking at tossing in a rebuild kit, otherwise he could go to the effort of installing the unit and either have it not work at all, or cr*p out within 6 months.

What would he expect to pay for a used LSD -- $35? Add $65 for a rebuild kit and you're almost up to half the cost of a new unit.

If the guy (it is a guy, right?) is really on a budget, what about a drop-in locker like a Lock-Rite? I know they are harsh on the street -- the new Detroit Gearless Locker is really a limited slip in a drop-in style unit -- what's the price structure on those? That might be a good option for this person, too.

Eagle
i know what your saying man.When i do upgrades on my cj nothen but the best. i've been through All these dicussions with this guy it's like beating a dead horse.
Brian

[quote:f8aa72008d="Brian Moyer"]Eagle
i know what your saying man.When i do upgrades on my cj nothen but the best. i've been through All these dicussions with this guy it's like beating a dead horse.
Brian[/quote:f8aa72008d]

Sigh -- Okay, I tried. I had an old trac-lok I pulled from my '88, but it had 175,000 miles on it and had already been re-shimmed once before it died, so I tossed it. Sorry.

Send your guy to Harry's.

Back