• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Repair questions

88WoodXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and am having trouble finding exactly what i am looking for:

My compressor has gone out, the dealer said i would need to get a replacement but don't want the dealer to do it as he costs more than the jeep to get it fixed...

got an 88 XJ 4.0L that has been retrofitted with a 134a kit. I am looking to get a new compressor and evaporator and valve but want to know if there is an advantage to buying newer than my model year. Should I try and put a 2000 system in my 1988 (are they all the same?)

Thanks for the help

I did the whole replacement to R-134 on my '88, Recently I put in a paralell condensor and it made all the difference in cooling down the vehicle. Go to
www. ackits.com to find the righ answer. they have a forum and they dont push parts on ya, but they do have the best parts at the best price, I know alot of a/c guys in my town and they buy their parts for the same guys that own the site. I am in no way related or employed by them just passing on a company that is really customer friendly and is trustworthy. Good Luck.

the one that fits thats on their site, I cant remember which one, I might have been able to go bigger and if you can do. the larger the condensor the better your A/C system is. Good Luck

XJING said:
I did the whole replacement to R-134 on my '88, Recently I put in a paralell condensor and it made all the difference in cooling down the vehicle. Go to
www. ackits.com to find the righ answer. they have a forum and they dont push parts on ya, but they do have the best parts at the best price, I know alot of a/c guys in my town and they buy their parts for the same guys that own the site. I am in no way related or employed by them just passing on a company that is really customer friendly and is trustworthy. Good Luck.

Can you tell me what was involved with the changeover from R-12 to 134? I need to upgrade my '92 this summer. Still looking for that paralell condensor also....

thanks-

R134 is not as efficient as R12. Newer systems designed for R134 make allowances for the inefficiencies, so, yes, if you can, upgrade your current system to reflect R134 engineering. I think a condenser with parallel passages, verses a single, serpentine tube that's in your jeep, goes along way in improving the 134 system.

Back