• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about building a leaf pack

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... I have sean many people talk about building their own leaf packs, but for most part, they have all mentioned using their stock main leaf for starting point. Now since my main leaf is kind of S shaped by the bushing (both of them) it can be used as a leaf in the pack, but not the main one.

So.... if you were starting from scratch, what would is recommended? Also to gain about 4" would it be better to keep stock shackle and go for about 4" on the leaf pack or make a 3" to 3.5" pack and have a longer shackle?

Thanks
Kejtar

If you can find the donor leafs cheap it's worth it. Some pick-in-pulls still think they are gold. Dakota leafs, S10 Jimmy leafs. CheapXJ has a good write up on his Webpage. I did come across a write up on full size Dodge leaf packs, where the center pin was the same as the front mount to the pin.

Also, if yo are planning on keeping an XJ main leaf, work on a ladder bar to keep the spring wrap to a minimum. Your leafs will last longer.

Starting from scratch, you don't really have that many options. From what I know of, there are not any bolt on springs that will fit the XJ in the junk yard, accept from an XJ. So, used XJ springs would be option 1, preferably from a newer, low mile, upcountry XJ. Option 2 would be to have a spring maker make you just the main leaf. This would be cheaper than having them make the full leaf pack, plus you could have them make the leaf longer to account for the more arch you are having them made to. You'd then add your Dakota leaves, or whatever you'd be using to that leaf. I do not know the cost of this.

I'll tell you my route, and maybe it would be an option, maybe not. I went to RE's 'garage sale' last year and picked up some used 4.5" lift XJ leaves. One was obviously sagged more than the other, and the bushings were shot. They were returned under warranty. I got the set for $15. I'll be using the main leaf of that with some mix and mach leaves from a 7 leaf front waggy pack. The waggy pack has 7 thin leaves and flex well. Maybe call RE, see if they have any used XJ leaves to sell. Worth a try.

OK.... couple questions:
1. If I had a springmaker make me a main leaf how much would it run (expected average cost)?
2. If I had a springmaker make me a main leaf, what would I want it to be? thicker? longer? I don't mind a bid of a rougher ride if it will perform better, but it can't be rough as all my female friends hate riding in my jeep as it is LOL

Thanks,
Kejtar

Kejtar said:
OK.... I have sean many people talk about building their own leaf packs, but for most part, they have all mentioned using their stock main leaf for starting point. Now since my main leaf is kind of S shaped by the bushing (both of them) it can be used as a leaf in the pack, but not the main one.

So.... if you were starting from scratch, what would is recommended? Also to gain about 4" would it be better to keep stock shackle and go for about 4" on the leaf pack or make a 3" to 3.5" pack and have a longer shackle?

Thanks
Kejtar

Shoot an inquiry around SoCal and see if you can pick up someone's discarded stock leaf pack. The main leaf is important, and if yours is already bent, it would be best to get another one.

For 4", I'd stick with the stock shackle, then you can add a longer one later if you want a little more lift, or if they sag a little.

Kejtar said:
OK.... couple questions:
1. If I had a springmaker make me a main leaf how much would it run (expected average cost)?
2. If I had a springmaker make me a main leaf, what would I want it to be? thicker? longer? I don't mind a bid of a rougher ride if it will perform better, but it can't be rough as all my female friends hate riding in my jeep as it is LOL

Thanks,
Kejtar

Are you sure your talking about Leaf Springs? :D

I think your girlfriends would like it both Thicker and Longer, if they are to be considered in this equation. :D

Chuck... there is no complaints in that department :D but in the ride quality of the jeep (bouncy/bumpy). So I was wondering if I mave a new main made could it be made stronger but not too much harder?

Kejtar

Like Goatman said and has used himeself, save the money, use the OEM main. If you can't find one at a pic-in-pull, then I'm sure there is a SoCal guy to help you out.

If you did get a new Main, Longer and thicker would help with springwrap, that's why I went with the RE1462's. But then, how are the 11 leaf National packs made, I know most if not all are thin leaves.

Back