• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BG 44K

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
in my '92 XJ with 116K miles I have used 2 cans of Seafoam through the tank, crankcase and TB, which helped relieve the gunk built up when the PO didn't bother to tend to the oil in the intake (CCV problem). This helped some, engine ran quieter and was slightly more responsive.

After hearing about the BG 44K a few weeks ago I tried it out and went from 17.3mpg to 18.1mpg and had a little more get-up-and-go, spun the tires a few times around corners (didn't used to at all-) and overall seemed to like it pretty well.

In my Dodge Caravan with 170K miles (3.3L) I have also used Seafoam everywhere in the attempt to regain lost performance and economy. I was getting 21mpg (in town) years ago, then down to 19mpg, then suddenly down to 16mpg. I ran Seafoam really heavy (along with O2 sensor, tune-up, etc) and got back to 17.5MPG. With the BG 44K in the tank I got 19MPG and the next tank after that was 22.3MPG, although this was on the road it's still better than I have had on the road in a while.

Conclusion- BG 44K is worth every penny. Seafoam worked OK, but I'll not use it again when I can get the BG 44K.

I know the shop i used to work at used BG, but it's more expensive than seafoam.... at least around here.
I would like to see a closer comparison to justify the extra $$. 2 more MPG isn't a huge deal to me.

Last edited:
imma honky said:
I know the shop i used to work at used BG, but it's more expensive than seafoam.... at least around here.
I would like to see a closer comparison to justify the extra $$. 2 more MPG isn't a huge deal to me.

To me, 2 MPG is more than $200 worth of savings per year. It's too bad I can't seem to find BG44k in Fresno.

ChuckD said:
To me, 2 MPG is more than $200 worth of savings per year. It's too bad I can't seem to find BG44k in Fresno.

I purchased it at NAPA.

Keep in mind I had something wrong with the minivan, I didn't get 2mpg that I didn't have before, I just got it back again. It was less than 1mpg in the Jeep, but it runs perfect and still has golden oil after 3K miles.

I worked in a shop in WV and my boss was a BG distibuter.Had a 88 XJ with 185000 miles on it that really started to run like crap.17mpg with 4.0 auto.Ran a can of BG44K thru it and went to 20 mpg and ran great.Now,this motor was a little tired also,but I would recomend it to anyone.I added it to my gas and then went on a 10 mile,85mph+ run on the interstate,done deal:cheers:

I routinely run a can every 10k miles in each of our 4 vehicles.

Back