• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Special stud for Dana 44 & Alloy wheels?

crawldaddy

NAXJA Member # 1491
These wheel studs don't appear to fit correctly....

One of my XJs (1987 Waggy) has factory alloy wheels on a D44 rear. The mesh between the threads on the studs and nuts is only about 1/4 inch, and that does not seem right. A steel wheel would have a thinner section, so it would have more mesh. The studs should be longer for the alloy wheel, but none of the part stores list a longer stud...or a different stud for alloy wheels.

By decoding the VIN, we can not determine whether the car came with the D44, or if it was added later (though it looks stock). The VIN does tell us:

Aluminum wheels
Heavy Duty Suspension (has rear sway)
Trac-Loc Limited Slip

The studs have threads about 1 inch long, a neck about 3/8 inch long, and a head about 1/8 inch long.

Does anyone know if this is the correct stud for the D44 rear when used with alloy wheels? Has anyone found a stud that increases the thread engagement?

Factory alloys don't use a longer stud, but they should certainly have more than 1/4" of thread engagement. I have some OEM lugnuts with the stainless caps popped off, and when they are properly tightened that stud extends almost to the surface of the lugnut.

Are you certain that your wheels are seating properly on the hubs? Something is wrong.

Are you certain the wheels are OEM? The typical flange on the OEM alloy rims is (going from memory) between 3/8" and 1/2" thick, but the lug holes are recessed and tapered into that. If the studs extend 1" beyond the face of the hub or drum, you should have probably 3/4" of thread engagement.

Last edited:
I had the same issue when I put my D44 in my '89 XJ. The wheel studs are too short for the alloy wheels. You either need longer studs (take one into Discount Parts or NAPA and have them match the knurl and thread pitch with longer stud overall length).

The other alternative is to use lug nuts that have a short sleeve that extends into the lug hole of the wheels and still has the 60* acorn shoulder to seat it properly.

As far as longer studs, I think the ZJ/WJ studs are 1/4" longer because of the rear disc brake setup.

Back