• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Profits Are Driving Pump Price Spike

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
New Gasoline Study Shows Profits, Not Crude Oil Prices Or Ethanol, Are Driving Pump Price Spike

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/energy/pr/?postId=6133

Santa Monica, CA -- The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights released a new study today of rising gasoline prices in California that found corporate markups and profiteering are responsible for spring price spikes, not rising crude costs or the national switchover to higher-cost ethanol, as the oil industry claims.

Independent petroleum consultant Tim Hamilton analyzed gasoline price increases from January to April to find that:
Increases in the "spot" market price of crude oil -- which is the highest price a major oil company would pay for crude oil -- accounted for only 12 cents per gallon. California's percentage sales tax increased fuel prices by another four cents per gallon. More than 40 cents of the 60-cent increase in gasoline prices over 3 1/2 months is attributable to increased refinery and marketing profit margins for the oil companies;
Neither the MTBE phaseout nor the substitution of ethanol is a serious part of the increase. If the MTBE phaseout or ethanol blending specifically increased costs for oil companies in California, other states in the West using conventional unblended gasoline should be much less affected. Yet Washington State, which uses only conventional gasoline and has similar refinery capacity and crude oil sources, mirrored California's increase;
The profit increase of 42 cents, on top of record profits last year, means California gasoline will cost consumers approximately $546 million more in April 2006 than in April of last year.

"While oil companies continue to blame crude oil prices and ethanol additives for the recent gasoline price spikes in California, the chief cause is increased profiteering by oil companies that have previously posted world record profits," said Hamilton.

"Oil companies are opportunistically using the rising world price for crude oil as an excuse to excessively raise gasoline prices and pump up their profits, even though the spot market price for crude has gone up far more slowly than gasoline prices," said FTCR President Jamie Court. "In addition, the spot price is higher than most oil companies pay, since they either harvest their own crude or pay more stable and often much lower contract prices.

"This study should be a wake-up call for California voters who will vote in November on a ballot initiative to tax windfall profits by oil companies so the state can develop alternatives to the petroleum economy."

yea go f'in figure. It really irritates me to see than the major oil companies pull like 50 billion in profit for a single quarter. And there isn't much to do about it except legislate the gas prices by the government, "Mother should I trust the government?" and as mentioned, tax the hell out of the oil moguls.

What a bunch of bullsh!t.

@ $3/gal I have to think twice about going out of town and stuff.

To think they pay farmers NOT to produce corn. Think about all the biodeisel we could have :rolleyes:

Damn oil companies got us by the balls.

it also spikes delivery costs because truckers need to pay for gas too. I'm thinking about trying to work from home more often just to reduce my monthly gas bill....and working from home as a janitor doesn't cut it. lol

Dont let the man keep you down! Fight the power! Thundercats--hoooooooooooo!

I understand capitalism relies on supply and demand, but it also relies on competition.... where's the competition? Are the oil companies doing this in cooperation? Imagine how much business one company could take if they undercut the others by 30 cents.

When Standard Oil was broken up under the Anti-Trust act, they still managed to remain "one company" through the magic of interlocking directorates. I'd be only mildly surprised if that was still going on - it would be instructive to compare lists of directors for the "various" oil refiners, and see what names come up where...

That is a failing of the Anti-Trust Act - while it broke up some of the larger companies, they didn't do anything to prevent someone being able to serve on multible boards of companies in the same industry.

Does anyone have the time and resources to devote to this? The information needed should be a matter of public record.

Maybe I'm just a cynic - but the advantage there is that you are right rather more often than not...

5-90

BrettM said:
I understand capitalism relies on supply and demand, but it also relies on competition.... where's the competition?
In a monopoly or oligopoly there is no such thing as supply and demand or competition. There is only monopolistic practices.

Are the oil companies doing this in cooperation?
You mean collusion? If only we could prove that. WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT???? The oil companies own the White House. This administration... this congress can't and won't do crap about price fixing.

Exxon deliberately fixes the price of gasoline artificially high so that it can give its chairman a $51 MILLION paycheck and $400 MILLION retirement package.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1841989

I wish I could prove it but collusion is definitly going on............has to be. It is all way too syncronized and they have their hands into the deep pockets of not just our current administration, which may be tied in a lot more than ever in the past, but all administrations in the past.

(Sorry, going off on a diesel tangent since I just bought a new truck)

Some huge money power (i.e. Microsoft, Intel, Oprah, etc) should go way against the grain of the Administration and produce Biodiesel. It is possible to completely sustain the United States trucking industry 100% U.S. made biodiesel. It would give a huge competition to the oil companies, drive down trucking/shipping costs and overall pump prices. It would even provide lots of jobs and even get farming back on track. Will this happen.........hell no! An ordeal like this will get ZERO tax benefits and the local, state, and federal government would throw a wrench in EVERY aspect to prevent this from happening. Why? Because the oil companies have literally bought Congress and the President. Sad thouigh cuz it would be nice to be self sufficient. If somethinig like this were to happen, I we willing to bet we would never had gone into Iraq.

(stepping off of soap box)

cracker said:
I wish I could prove it but collusion is definitly going on............has to be. It is all way too syncronized and they have their hands into the deep pockets of not just our current administration, which may be tied in a lot more than ever in the past, but all administrations in the past.

(Sorry, going off on a diesel tangent since I just bought a new truck)

Some huge money power (i.e. Microsoft, Intel, Oprah, etc) should go way against the grain of the Administration and produce Biodiesel. It is possible to completely sustain the United States trucking industry 100% U.S. made biodiesel. It would give a huge competition to the oil companies, drive down trucking/shipping costs and overall pump prices. It would even provide lots of jobs and even get farming back on track. Will this happen.........hell no! An ordeal like this will get ZERO tax benefits and the local, state, and federal government would throw a wrench in EVERY aspect to prevent this from happening. Why? Because the oil companies have literally bought Congress and the President. Sad thouigh cuz it would be nice to be self sufficient. If somethinig like this were to happen, I we willing to bet we would never had gone into Iraq.

(stepping off of soap box)
seems to me there are enough people that believe the government is deeply involved (I am yet undecided, though definitely leaning that way) that someone could easily win an election simply by playing the gas issue right.

Which probably has to do with why most manufacturers are recommending not more than 5% greasel - or they void the warranty.

Apart from that, there's really no reason to not "go greasel" - I'm half tempted sometimes to do it myself, but I haven't been able to find a suitable Diesel truck yet... And the line up a source of greasel raw material, and build a converter...

5-90

BrettM said:
seems to me there are enough people that believe the government is deeply involved (I am yet undecided, though definitely leaning that way) that someone could easily win an election simply by playing the gas issue right.

You, my friend, have a lot to learn about politics. It is not that easy. Poloticians are driven by campaign donations and under the table deals. No brave man, or woman, is going to come out of the gates playing the gas issue cuz every oil company will give the other candidates tons of $ to bury him/her. Bottom line......money talks.

Politics suck. My sister is a lobbyist in DC. You should hear the stories..........

Last edited:
5-90 said:
Apart from that, there's really no reason to not "go greasel" - I'm half tempted sometimes to do it myself, but I haven't been able to find a suitable Diesel truck yet... And the line up a source of greasel raw material, and build a converter...

5-90

I've got the diesel truck (well actually on Monday) and I have the unlimited vegetable oil supply (my brother in law runs a Sushi Bar). My engine will have a warranty on it but when it runs out, I will seriously consider it. I would have to come up with a seperator and all the fun filters and tanks, etc. Give it time and I will probably do it. Supposedly to set it up properly costs $1500-2000 and it can pay itself off within a couple of months. Think of it, driving to Moab for basically nothing. Couldn't be better than that.

The funny thing is that where ever I go, people will smell shrimp tempura :D

(Andy, sorry to hijack your thread :wave: )

It is amazing though that the government can regulate the airlines, the phone companies….damn near anything they want to, but they won’t touch this one.

djblade311 said:
It really irritates me to see than the major oil companies pull like 50 billion in profit for a single quarter.

Yeah but as a percaentage of gross sales it runs between 10% and 11%.

With countries like Iran and Venezuela constantly threatening to pull the plug on production it's no wonder why crude futures have gone to $70+/barrel.

why cant we be more like Brazil? They are now officially oil independent. They stopped purchasing from other countries...

The oil companies are certainly operating like a monopoly - raise the prices across the board just to make extra profits. Unfortunately, the govt. gets so much money off of gas taxes that the don't want to interfere much. It's like this in Canada and no sign of stopping.

Stock up on ammo.

Back