• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How far does your brake pedal travel before engaging?...'89 XJ

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Some of you might have read my continuing saga of my never ending brake job on my '89 XJ no ABS.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=755097

Well I think it's fixed...I think!

I say "I think" as I noticed my brake pedal travels about three inches before it engages the brakes and it's been that way since I purchased the Jeep about 11 years ago.

Just want to survey all and ask if this three inches of travel is in the ball park of everyone's experience?

Thanks,

John V.

Mine is closer to 3 1/2 inches, and has been that way since I got my '89. Still brakes hard though :). The '92 is the same way as well. The '95 has ABS though, and the brakes engage about 3/4s of an inch into to the brake pedal.

Jeff

I don't know in inches, but it engages just above being even with the gas pedal. It's been that way since I bought it in 2001.

I think my '89 is the same way. I have bled the brakes and installed new pads/shoes and it's the same. Seems like it should be tighter.

my 96 with ABS disengaged will only go about an inch b4 i feel resistance. the 44 drums on the stock brake system stops my 36's fairly quick.

'01 - 1 inch.

Back