• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front shock bar pin help quick

OUG

NAXJA Forum User
So last year I replaced my factory front shocks for a nice pair of Rancho RSX shocks and added a 1" spring spacer. This last weekend I started hearing a knocking noise from the front right side when I went over little bumps. I found that my lower bar pin was broken. One bolt was apparently missing for a while which put all the strain on the other side. So for a quick patch job I just switched the bolt to the other side of the bar pin to hold the shock in place. I went to a couple of shops and they said it's part of the shock and a non-serviceable part. I do have my old shocks. Tonight I'm trying to get the bar pin out of the old shock and shove it in the new shock but i'm having a heck of a time even getting the old bar pin out of the old shock. I don't want to take the broken bar pin out of the good shock until I figure out what to do as it still kind of works. Is there any tricks for this or am I going about this entirely wrong?

Are you just talking about the pin that slips into the bushing on the lower eye of the shock? It's flat and open on the end. Meaning...there isn't a hole drilled through it but it's slotted? I don't know if you could get that at a dealer but I wouldn't think there would be anything particularly special about that piece...if I'm understanding you correctly. Persuade it out of the old bushing.

Yes, the bar that goes through the bushing and has a hole drilled on either side to bolt it down. I went to the dealership and they said it was a non-serviceable part. They didn't have it without selling me a whole new shock. I passed. I used a grinder to cut the old shock's eye in half, so I got the old bar pin out of the old shock. The broken Rancho bar pin seems to move a little easier in the bushing then the other shock. The broken bar pin has a 1/4" piece sticking past the bushing. It's getting dark and I don't have a shop so I just put the one bolt back. I then took another bolt and a big washing and clamped down the other side of the bar pin with the washer. It's getto but it should hold for two more days if I drive carefully. I'll take the shock out this weekend and see if I can't force the broken pin out and shove the other one in. Untill then any advice on getting the pin out without the use of a grinder is appreciated.

Thanks,
Oug

If you've got the one out of the old shock all you need to do is get that broken one out and you're money. It might be a PITA to get that pin out of the Rancho with it on the Jeep. You might have to take it off and see if you can support it on a 2x4 with the help of a friend and see if you can drive that thing out. I hate the torture that is removing that top nut on the shock but it's probably gonna have to happen.

A C-clamp also works instead of a bench vise if you're unlucky like me and without a garage/workshop.

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on this crew. The bench vise idea worked great. The shock is all happy again.

Thanks again,
OUG

Back