• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

List of items that wearout or break on a 93 xj??

newjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody got a list of items or single recommendations that need to be checked/changedout on a 1993 XJ. I have heard that the fuel line connectors need to be changed out as they will eventually start leaking. I know the usual wear items such as timing chain,bearings, etc. I just wanna try and get those pesky things that might break out on the trail and ruin a good day. Thanks

As prevention, these are my 2 cents.

Change your oil and filter
Clean your battery terminals and posts to bare, shiny lead
Replace your battery if it's nearing the rated life
Grease every chassis fitting including the U-joints
Check for excess steering, wheel bearing and ball joint play
Replace your thermostat, radiator cap and flush your cooling system
Replace your fan clutch
Change your diff's fluid, look for leaks. No water crossing if theres a leak
Drain and refill the transfer case
Check your transmission fluid, exhange if over 30k, check the lines for leakage.
Flush your power steering
Flush your brake fluid
Check your brakes for glazed rotors, or worn pads and shoes
Check your exhaust for leaks
Check your tire pressures, bring a pump to raise and lower them
Change your air filter
Change your spark plugs if over 30k
Check your plug wires for shorts, distributor cap and rotor for wear and carbon tracks
Check your engine electrical grounds, remove and clean them if there's any corrosion

List of things that wear out, hmmm
your credit cards and mac cards
your wifes patience
knees on your jeans
your tolerance towards the idiot at the chain auto parts store who keeps giving you the wrong parts
:sunshine:

RichP said:
List of things that wear out, hmmm
your credit cards and mac cards
your wifes patience
knees on your jeans
your tolerance towards the idiot at the chain auto parts store who keeps giving you the wrong parts
:sunshine:
You got that right.

The previous post lists the major maintenance things to check. Things you should check over for any used vehicle you buy. After going over that stuff, just drive the dang thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Closely check your front outer ujoints. Got my 90' and they were toast long ago!!

You have IIRC the vacuum front diff.? If so check all the vac. lines and map sensor lines as they tend to crack/leak/clog.

These are things that were brought to my attention when asking the same question.

Whats the mileage?

depending on the mileage....you can only do so much maintenance
everything but the tranny and the engine gave up on my '93 right after I hit 200K
all the electrical seems to go to hell on or before that milestone
It became trade in time when I was replacing something expensive on a monthly basis
best of luck

'01 2DR
stock and stayin' that way this time around

142000 on the clock and NO I do not have the vacuum front dif, man that electrical going south at 200000 is not good (don't like doing the electrical stuff) is this the case with everybody at 200000? Thanks

Mines @ 152,000
power seats died, rear power locks and windows work when they feel like it, rear wiper stuff died, intermintents died about 2,000mi ago 9now I got fast and super f-ing fast), can't start her up in Park (neutral saftey switch), and back up lights dont work when its dark (actually they just work on and off, it just seems like it is when its dark).

so uh . . . enjoy your power junk if you got it cause you don't got it for long!

Most of the electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds, they get corroded over time and need to be removed and either replaced or the contact points cleaned. The other problems in the door parts with the motors and such is the joint between the door and the A pillar, the constant flexing from opening and closing the door causes the wiring to crack after constant flexing over the years. The other biggie is the master cylinder, once it starts leaking and if you ignore it the brake fluid drips down onto the big bulkhead connector and eats it. That one is big problems and alot of work to fix not to mention if the wrong wires short together you can loose/damage/short out alot of expensive parts.
To clean the grounds just remove them, use a brass tooth brush to clean both the connector and the place it mounts then reinstall it only put some dielectric grease on the connection or if I can't find a tube in my box I put a dab of either my mobil-1 grease or castrol syntec grease, whatevers in the grease gun. The other stuff you can use is OxGuard, I think thats more available out west, never seen it around here and the few places I've asked about it never heard of it. Thomas & Betts also makes similar, two types, one for aluminum wiring and one for copper.

Back