• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking from front axles

90BigBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have sprung a leak at the passenger side front axle. Diff/Gear fluid has made a small puddle under the Jeep. Is this the bearing seals? Or something more drastic? I did just replace the fluid in the diff's about a week before the leak sprung, could I have overfilled - I use the finger test in the draing hole and it was at the same level I always fill to...I thought :)
I plan on taking it in to get fixed (since I am trying to finish the Harley and Suburban projects) instead of attemting it myself. I have never had this problem before so is there anything else I should look at while their in there?

Jeep details
90 XJ 6cyl, auto
5.5 lift
32's on Dana 30 front and 35 rear with
4.56's front open and rear locked (done in 2002 just about a year ago)

Thanks
Steve

I am assuming that you have the disconnect front axle. The seal is jusdt inside the disconnsct to the left as you look into it. It is a PITA to replace, but, wiht a little patiance and the right tools should only take an hour or so.

Let me know if you want more info on how to DIY.

Rev

Hey thanks for the link to drivetrain direct, that's where I got the diff stuff. I am ordering those tubes seals, thats probably the best thing I have ever seen for a Dana 30. I guess I am just going to do the install myself and take a break from the other projects to save a bit of cash. I generally try to keep the projects to 1 at a time but I gotta get the bike back up to enjoy a little summer fun and the Suburban is nearly complete except for a few mods to the exhaust.
Thanks guys

Back