• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Shock Question

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a set of OEM Up Country springs on my XJ. I currently have the factory standard duty shocks. Will these work fine with the Up Country springs or will I have to get the HD shocks?
Thanks in advance.
Alex

Ok, thanks anony91 and Eagle. Thats what I wanted to hear. I did not want to get new ones when the ones I have are only a few years old. Thanks again.
Alex

Since your on the shock topic.....

What is the "usage" difference between hydro and nitro shocks? I understand the fluid diff. but where would one be better/worse than the other?

Sorry to hijack and thanks,
Ken

The stock shocks will be fine on the street. The Up Country shocks were gas charged. All that does is reduce foaming of the hydraulic fluid under heavy suspension use. For most low-speed trail use the stock shocks will also be okay -- after all, Rancho 5000s aren't gas charged.

Some conditions give the shocks a real workout, and that's where the gas charged shocks become more advantageous. One example is sand dunes. Years ago my brother took his full-size Cherokee to cape Cod and went out on the dunes. His shocks stopped doing any absorbing very quickly due to overheating and foaming fluid. After that trip he went to dual shocks in the front.

Back