• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somebody call me dummy

DVM04

NAXJA Forum User
I have been tracking down a sputtering problem in my 92 xj that I just replaced the 4.0 in. Currently has 1600 miles and has continued to do this sputtering, mild, during idle, and under light acceleration. I replaced everything in the fuel system, disty, wires, tps, IAC, injectors, ...the works, couldnt track it down, so I started pulling plugs today and whalla, the 4th plug's electrode was touching the tip of the center electrode.....How this happened I have no idea, I guess I was not paying attention during install....

However I re-gapped all of them and the truck idles and drives like glass. I cant believe it. The idle purrs.....
Ok so someone say, I screwed the pooch....
Thanks for listening.

dummy

there happy now????:D
I changed all the plugs and wires and stuff in my cj once and after repeated attempts to start it i realized i left the coil wire off..........we all have our moments

I feel better, thank you...

Think this has anything to do with the 12.5miles/gallon I have been averaging the last 1600 miles....

Last edited:
Dummy :D

Seriously, I've seen that happen a lot with Jeep 4.0 engines. For whatever reason, it's easy to dink a plug and close the gap without even realizing it. Often the car will drive normally except for a noticable stumble at idle, and maybe a CEL on newer OBDII vehicles.

Back