• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smokin

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Just started recently (within last 3-4 days). Under light throttle it is fine. But when im stopped, and the start to go again and hard throttle it smokes pretty bad. Rings? Oh yeah, I think either my manifold or gasket it leaking. I popped the hood and revved the engine to check and smoke was coming from the manifold area. Throw me some clues, and will I be OK for a bit (IE a couple of months at least).

I have not had ANY problems until I changed the effin oil in it. I must just have some bad luck.

What color is the smoke? Bluish/purpleish and smelling of oil?

Could be valve seals or piston rings. Mine does exactly what you're describing real bad, plus it's got a slight rapping noise that makes it sound exactly like a diesel. Yes, a lot of the smoke comes out of my cracked manifold and up through the hood as well as out through the tailpipe. Mine's bad enough to warrant an engine replacement.

If you're just getting a little smoke and it's not too bad, fix the manifold leak and leave it at that.

ummm, yeah it's blue-ish. I don't really notice tapping, but the idle has become louder. only 170 on th OD. That's the lowest outta the 3 i've owned. And neither one of the others had smoking probs at 250+. I really need to know if I need to do something about it NOW, or if I can wait a little bit and not hurt anything.

Chances are you'll be fine for awhile. I'd have to see it to give you a definite answer though. Sounds like you're just excessively burning oil. Check the oil on a regular basis and keep it full.

anony91xj said:
Chances are you'll be fine for awhile. I'd have to see it to give you a definite answer though. Sounds like you're just excessively burning oil. Check the oil on a regular basis and keep it full.
Yeah, I had suspected that it was burning oil, since it has been low on a few occassions, and I am leak free (knock on wood). But damn, the seals must be shot if under load it dumps out smoke this thick. I mean, if you have ever used a carb cleaner, that's about how thick it was. BUT, it went away once RPM's changed (gear change).

imma honky said:
I have not had ANY problems until I changed the effin oil in it. /QUOTE]

Here's a long shot: Oil drainback holes in the head are slightly plugged. When you added oil, it stayed up in the head high enough to get sucked into the crankcase vent, and it's sitting in the bottom of the intake until airflow is enough to draw it into the cylinders. Did you start the engine right away after adding oil?

Btw, what brand and weight of oil are you using?

Last edited:
MJmk said:
imma honky said:
I have not had ANY problems until I changed the effin oil in it. /QUOTE]

Here's a long shot: Oil drainback holes in the head are slightly plugged. When you added oil, it stayed up in the head high enough to get sucked into the crankcase vent, and it's sitting in the bottom of the intake until airflow is enough to draw it into the cylinders. Did you start the engine right away after adding oil?

Btw, what brand and weight of oil are you using?

I have only had to add a QT of oil since I've owned the jeep (JAN 23 06). I did an oil change roughly 3 weeks ago, and a brake job. I used 4 qt'd of mobil 1 drive clean 5k, and 2 qt's chevron(it's what I had layin around). ALL 10w-30. After the oil change, I had no probs until now.

DIRT: I'm not sure. I haven't actually checked to see which it is leakin from. I will be able to look at at further on friday.

I would dump the synthetic oil and use regular old 10w30. Some high mileage engines just don't like it! I'm surprised you don't have any leaks. I had the oil changed on my Chevy with 260K and the lube place put synthetic blend in it. Oil poured out the rear main so I drained the blend out and put good old 10w40 back in and it is all happy now!

MJmk said:
I would dump the synthetic oil and use regular old 10w30. Some high mileage engines just don't like it! I'm surprised you don't have any leaks. I had the oil changed on my Chevy with 260K and the lube place put synthetic blend in it. Oil poured out the rear main so I drained the blend out and put good old 10w40 back in and it is all happy now!
I didn't mean MOLIL1, i meant just regular mobil.... non synth. I have yet to use synthetic in any of my rides.

I know on my old truck's 300/4.9L(F150) I had a similar problem. Turned out to be valve seals. Theyre relatively easy to swap out if you use compressed air to hold the valves up. Normally though, when you find the culprit seal, youll know it, as it will be oily nasty while the others will be fairly clean.

imma honky said:
MJmk said:
I have only had to add a QT of oil since I've owned the jeep (JAN 23 06). I did an oil change roughly 3 weeks ago, and a brake job. I used 4 qt'd of mobil 1 drive clean 5k, and 2 qt's chevron(it's what I had layin around). ALL 10w-30. After the oil change, I had no probs until now.

So... for all you know... the previous owner had used a thick 20w50 oil to slow the oil loss... and your switch to 10x30 is why it "suddenly" started to smoke....

Just remember one simple rule: while our XJ's very commonly get to 200k+ with only minor issues... one that was NOT maintained properly is unlikely to. Buying something used with that kind of mileage on it is a crap shoot!

Den

well since everyone else wants to condemn this to an oil problem. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say vacuum leak.

If your intake is leaking... that is surely the cause. (a vehicle that runs rich produces smoke too. black smoke) If a CEL comes on it's not an oil problem.

You sure you didn't knock something loose while you were putting you dickskinners everywhere? :D

Dirt- out

Dirt said:
well since everyone else wants to condemn this to an oil problem. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say vacuum leak.

If your intake is leaking... that is surely the cause. (a vehicle that runs rich produces smoke too. black smoke) If a CEL comes on it's not an oil problem.

You sure you didn't knock something loose while you were putting you dickskinners everywhere? :D

Dirt- out
That's a very good question! I did swap over a brand spankin new vacuum/emissions line (the one that hooks from the air box to the valve cover, EGR ect....) I will look over all the vac lines friday.

I also noticed today, that it did NOT smoke this morning on my way to work. But on my way home, after it warmed up. it would smoke when i reached about 2100 rpms +.

I would rather have a leaky jeep than a smokin one.

You don't have the crankcase vent tube pushed too far into the rubber grommet do you? That would suck oil into the intake. The plastic tube flange should sit on top of the grommet, not be pushed down into it.

MJmk said:
You don't have the crankcase vent tube pushed too far into the rubber grommet do you? That would suck oil into the intake. The plastic tube flange should sit on top of the grommet, not be pushed down into it.

mines the ole' school two peice system. engine side and air box side......
(I think we are talking about the same one.....)

MJmk said:
I'm refering to the small tube that goes into the rear of the valve cover.
nvm, we weren't.

I haven't touched that one. Maybe I should check it.

OK. Well..... I went out today and popped the air box. FULL of oil. Soaked worse than it used to be. My original vac lines were busted, so I replaced them with NEW dealer ones I had laying around and threw in a new filter about a month and half ago. Where should I start. I mean it's so full it was leakin out of the bottom now. Where is the culprit clog or whatever. I have the next three days off..... so hit me with your best.

cmon' man ccv system. search noob! The part #'s you need are probably on file.

Also how far did you stick those hoses into the VC? I've seen people stick them to deep causing it to suck oil into the airbox.

Back